Mile High

"Wheels up in thirty guys."

Ah those dreaded words. The words you'd knew you'd hear at some point but hoped it would be a little longer than three days into your new job.
It wasn't that you personally were scared of flying you'd told yourself repeatedly. You just...... Didn't have anything to compare it to. Your mother had been petrified of flying having experienced bad turbulence during one of her of her trips. As a result, she'd flatly refused to take you or your brother on a plane, so any family holidays had resulted in a road trip. By the time you'd reached adulthood, you'd just accepted that driving to your destination was normal.

When you'd applied for a position within the BAU you accepted that you'd be needed to fly at some point. You were a bit of an adrenaline junkie and loved roller coasters and fast cars. How different could it be right?
Still, as you'd grabbed your go bag and hopped in the back of Agent Morgans suv to drive the short distance to the hanger, you felt a sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach.

"Hey Y/N. Have you been on our jet yet?" Morgan made eye contact with you in his rear view mirror.

You nodded. "Yep, it's pretty sweet looking."

You'd been given a tour when you joined. It did look pretty swanky compared to the pictures you'd seen of normal commercial jets and you hoped that the added luxury would make your first journey easier.

You arrived at the hanger and boarded the jet behind the rest of team, taking the seat closest to the aisle.

Dr Reid motioned to the empty seat next to window "Did you not want the window seat Y/N".

You shook your head. Nope. You didn't really want to see how high you were thank you very much.

Spencer climbed into the empty seat next to you and buckled himself in, placing his notebook and case files on the table in front.

JJ and Morgan took the seats opposite and the three of them started discussing the case you were on your way to investigate.

The small jet started to move and you realised in horror that you were facing the wrong way. You'd sat mistakenly so that you facing backwards to the way you were heading. You didn't like that. Still, it was too late to change now.

As the plane gained speed and began to began it's ascent into the air, you could feel yourself gripping the armrests. This really wasn't like riding a roller coaster you thought. Coasters were fun, this was not.

"Are you okay Y/N? You're very quiet today." Agent Jareau asked studying your face.

You nodding gritting your teeth "Yeah, I... Um....just don't like taking off that's all." you lied. They didn't need to know you'd never flown before. You could feel an uncomfortable pressure building in your ears, making it feel as though you were underwater. You'd read about this. The articles had recommend sucking on a hard boiled sweet in order to help your ears pop. You had sweets in your go bag. But that meant releasing the armrests and moving and for some reason you couldn't make your body comply and do that.

You started to swallow repeatedly, finding a small amount of relief as every so often you'd hear a pooof noise as your ears popped. You were starting to get a horrible sickly feeling in the back of your throat and stomach and prayed you weren't going to be sick. You could feel Dr Reid watching you. Of all the team, you liked him the best. He was quiet but attentive, picking up on things that you thought the others would miss. In the three days you known him, you'd already seen that you had a fair amount of common interests, not that you'd had much chance to discuss them.

"Did you know that under internationally agreed aviation rules, cabin air is maintained at about 75 per cent of normal atmospheric pressure - the equivalent of living in a high-altitude city such as Mexico City."