[i] Intro

September 12

September 12

8:24 A.M.

Beacon Hills Elementary School

     10-year-old Isaac's eyes roamed the playground as his slumped back slid down the brick walls of the school. He sat criss cross, placing his contemporary colored bag next to him, relishing in his isolation. All of the kids from his grade ran around; chasing each other, laughing, talking. 

 A pang of hurt and jealously hit him. It was Isaac's first year at the elementary school, and so far, more than a week in, nobody had befriended Isaac besides his teacher, Mrs.Wallace. It shouldn't have been such a slap in the face for him- He was used to being alone. Still, Isaac couldn't help but feel a bit sad watching everyone else around him.

    With a heavy sigh, Isaac turned and began to rummage through his bookbag. A small smile came across his face when he pulled out his new comic book. His brother had given it to him when Isaac asked him to buy it- It wasn't everyday that a kid wanted to read. He also figured it would be a good distraction from everything going on with their father.

Isaac smirked at the smooth book in his hands, his hands going to thumb through the pages, sneaking peeks of what was to come in the book. Eventually, he flipped back to the first page, his face lighting up even more as he began to read. 

   "Is that daredevil!?" A voice abruptly boomed over the dirty blonde's head, excitement lacing every word. "You got the new edition?"

Isaac slowly raised his head to meet gazes with a boy in his class. His hair was cut low, like a buzz-cut. He wore a camo jacket and baggy jeans, the moles on his face prominent. His mouth was parted in an adorable mile-wide grin, showcasing his jagged baby teeth.

   "U-Uh, yeah." Isaac stuttered back, slightly taken aback by the fact that someone had spoken to him first. 

   "Can I read it with you?" The boy asked, bouncing lightly on his toes in anticipation. "My mom said I wasn't allowed to get it.."

  Isaac was speechless. He wordlessly nodded and before Isaac could blink, the little boy with the buzz-cut was at his right side, excitedly peering over Isaac's shoulder to make out the words on the page. Reluctantly, Isaac scooted closer to allow the boy better access.

They stayed like that for the next 20 minutes, arguing over who would flip the page next and discussing their thoughts on the comic book. Just as Isaac was swatting the boy's hand away, more footsteps emerged from in front of them, catching both of their attention. A shadow loomed over them.