[xix] The Return of Jackson Whittmore

October 27

October 27

8:35 P.M.

Tonsla Household

It had taken all day for Phoebe to convince the hospital staff that she was well enough to go back home.

They ran a bunch of tests and concluded that there was no way she could have recovered as fast as she did, but she insisted that she was fine, walking casually around the room and even punching her stomach to show that she felt nothing. Even Isaac was surprised with how hardcore she was being about it.

So, they wrote her off, and Isaac drove her home that same night.

On the way home, Isaac looked over to Phoebe in the passenger seat, who was humming to herself peacefully.

"So, when you were punching your stomach.." Isaac began, a light smile on his face. "That really didn't hurt?"

Phoebe laughed lightly and shook her head, "Trust me, it hurt like a bitch. But I had no choice. Donovan is stalling, and I need to figure out why- Figure out his plan."

Isaac hummed in understanding and waited a few seconds before changing the subject, "Scott sent your missing work to your house. Are you planning on going to school tomorrow?"

"Of course. Wouldn't miss it for the world."

Her voice was eerily low and her strange response elicited curiosity within the boy, making him turn his head towards her. Her smile from just a few seconds ago had faltered, her lips now pressed into a thin line and her eyes focused on the window in front of them. If he didn't know her so well, he'd take her words as just her being enthusiastic about school, but something was off about her statement. The question of what burned under his skin, itching and biting at him to ask her, but he didn't. He kept quiet, tightening his grip on the steering wheel and training his eyes on the road.

When they pulled up to the house and Isaac helped her inside, they looked around for any other signs of life. The house was dark and quiet, which wasn't unusual; Joy sometimes went out, taking care of her own business, leaving Phoebe home alone.

"I guess she's not home." Phoebe sighs, turning around and going over to the living room table. A stack of papers was there in a folder, the label on it reading her full name. She grabs it knowingly and motions for Isaac to follow her up the stairs and into her room, where she plopped down on the bed and immediately began to spread out her materials and papers.

Isaac merely sat himself next to her on the bed, watching as she began frantically scribbling away on the missed homework. He looked to her uneasily, "'Be, are you sure you want to do that right now?"

"Yes." She grins gently, "I think knowing that I'm getting stuff done makes me happy in some really weird way."

Isaac shrugs at the strange girl and sighs, shutting his eyes for a few minutes. Eventually, without meaning to, he fell asleep next to her, snoring with his mouth ajar. But, when she began to play soft acoustic music from her phone, his eyes fluttered open and he sat up, rubbing at his tired eyes.