“My keys?” He sounded stronger now, his eyes wide. “But they are right here in my pocket.”

“Hand them over,” I commanded, releasing his left shoulder and holding up my hand. I was still shaking violently, I noticed. This was more nerve-wracking than I’d thought. I could feel Demona leaning me some strength and I let her – I was going to need it later.

When I had the keys in my hand, I dropped them on the ground immediately. “See, you lost them. You can’t find them, so you need some help. You’ve been having trouble with your eyes lately, can’t see everything in the dark.”

“Maybe I need glasses?” the man offered.

“That may be it,” I agreed. “Now, what are you going to do?”

“Now, go back to the station, get a friend to help me look for my keys and tell everyone I see about John calling me about toxics coming from a fabric in Suith Town.”

“Very good,” I praised. “Now, off you go. And remember, you have never talked to me.”

“Never,” he agreed just before he turned around and walked off.

I took a deep breath and jumped back on the roof on the right. In a matter of seconds, Demona was by my side. Her small sweaty hand was in mine, squeezing gently.

“Shouldn’t you be making sure no one sees us?” I whispered without looking at her.

“Rennor can handle it on his own for a moment,” she answered, a smile in her voice. “Besides, we both know I’m mostly here for you. To make sure you’re okay. So… are you?”

I laughed softly. “Yeah sure.”

“You’re doing great,” Demona complimented honestly. “I can tell you’re not penetrating anyone’s mind too much. And it’s all obviously working.”

“Yeah,” I agreed. I closed my eyes and leaned against her. I could feel her arm go around me and I buried my face in her bushy hair. I inhaled deeply and felt safe, surrounded by the smell of her sweet shampoo. I hadn’t thought using mind control would make me feel this way – I’d been careful with it for so long now that it almost felt like a sin to use it so freely.

“When do you think I should load up on energy?” she asked then, leaning away from me.

“Next one?” I offered.

She nodded in agreement and touched my face for a moment, her bright blue eyes boring into mine. There was no need to say anything, I could feel it all. She felt very close to me and ever since she’d showed me the extent of her feelings, it seemed like she didn’t care so much about covering it up anymore. Her love swirled all around me and made me feel lightheaded.

“The third one is coming,” she announced silently, pointing down. “Just give a sign when I can come down.”

I nodded and hugged her close for a moment, letting her feel my love now. She inhaled sharply and hugged me back.

Demona’s point of view

When I let go of Eros so he could compel the next cop, I hurried over the roofs to the alley where I could see Thetis, Aurora ad Ginger hiding in. When I jumped down right in front of them, they all gasped and backed up.

Thetis was the first to recover. “Demona, is everything okay?”

“Yeah,” I replied. “Sorry for the scare. I just wanted to tell you that the plan is working perfectly. You should head over to the church and figure out a way inside.”