11 Undecim

26th November 2016, 9:04 a

26th November 2016, 9:04 a.m.
NW Raleigh Street, Portland

JOHN TAPPED THE ARMREST IMPATIENTLY. He could not skip the 9:30 meeting, but he also wanted to know whether the woman on the bus was Jeanette or not. He had to decide quickly.

He clicked a picture of the number on the nameplate of the bus. Chances were, the woman would board the bus the following day. He would confirm his suspicions the following day.

 He would confirm his suspicions the following day

26th November 2016, 12:21 a.m.
NW Raleigh Street, Portland

Jeanette slid the tray across to the customer.

"Next order," she called out mechanically.

Her mind was not into her job. It lingered upon thoughts of John. Of all the wonderful memories they had shared. And of how one mistake brought everything crashing down. And she hated herself for thinking about him.

She had no idea that he was in Seattle and she certainly had no idea that he had seen her when she was aboard the bus.

She was jarred from her reverie by some small change. She couldn't put her finger on it, but something had changed in the atmosphere. It was an old comfortable feeling, but it screamed danger at the same time.

She looked up and stared at the entrance in horror. Standing there, with eyes on his phone was John, looking dapper in a suit.

What the is he doing here?

For a moment she froze, not knowing what to do. Suddenly she snapped back her head and her senses took control.

"Janice, could you please man my station for a while," she asked in her sweetest voice. "I really have to use the loo."

Janice opened her mouth to argue but saw that she was left with no choice. It wasn't a request, it was a demand.

With that, she ran inside to the bathroom stalls and shut the door behind her. Her heart was in her mouth, pounding furiously.

Shit, shit, shit.

It was one hell of a cock up. Why is John in Portland?

Jeannette wondered if he suspected her.

Impossible. I left no trace.

Besides, she assumed that John wasn't smart enough figure out anything.

And that was where her folly lay.