27th October, 2014

"IS THIS YOUR FINAL DECISION, Ava?" There was an air of finality in his voice as John addressed his daughter.

The child gulped and nodded.

"Answer me. Yes or no. Are you coming with me?"

"No," she replied, meekly.

"Alright then," John huffed. "Stay with your dear mother." He said 'dear mother' as though he had eaten something sour.

Jeannette smirked to herself.

Ava whimpered. Her cheeks quivered, anticipating hot, salty tears to roll down.

"You will regret this decision," he continued. And with that final statement, he picked up his luggage and walked out of the door.

Indeed she will, thought Jeannette. I will make sure that she does.

And Jeannette fully intended to show Ava how foolish she had been by choosing to stay with her.

At the back of the taxi, John grasped his knees and sat tense. After some deliberation he picked up his cell phone and dialled his brother. Adam was all he had left now. 

Several rings and impatient foot taps later Adam finally picked up the call.

"Hey, John," he answered sunnily. Remembering his brother's desolation, his voice turned grave. "Uh, so what did she say."

"She didn't come."

"Who, Jean?" A pause. "Is Ava with you?"

"No."

"Oh."

Long pause.

"What do I do Adam? What am I doing?" John's voiced cracked, betraying his heart break. So much for the macho act.

"They'll come around, don't worry. Jean is just sentimental about staying back. You can't blame her."

John felt a twinge of annoyance. He didn't like Adam siding with Jeanette. Adam was his brother, his blood. They were similar in all aspects- or that was what John liked to think. They had the same dark hair, cocoa brown eyes, tan skin, burly frame, deep voice, gentle manner. But Adam was happily married with two sons of his own. His marriage wasn't on the rocks.

"Yeah sure," he snorted in reply.

"Trust me John, she will. I know she will."

"Well since you know her so well why don't you convince her?" John sneered. He knew no one could convince Jeanette once she made up her mind. But if Adam was going to be so cocky about it, he might as try and fail.

"Uh John I don't think that's a good idea."

"No, no, why don't you give it a try. Call her. You seem to have a very high opinion of her."

"I didn't mean it like that-"

"I SAID CALL HER!" John shouted. The driver gave him a wary look. John ignored it.

"Alright, alright there's no need to shout," said Adam, now irked. "I'll call her."

"Good." John disconnected the call. He felt the knots form in his throat and swallowed them down.

So this is what heart break feels like.