8 Octō

6th November, 2016, 11:54 a

6th November, 2016, 11:54 a.m.

JEANETTE SMILED AT HER NEWLY obtained Social Security Card. She had assumed that the process would have been tedious. But it had proven to quite simple after all.

The next thing she would have to do was getting an identification card.

That very day she went to the DMV office. There, she submitted her fake birth certificate and newly obtained Social Security number stating that she had lost her previous identification card. The clerk told her that she would receive the card to her address within ten days.

Jeanette sighed. It would be a long wait and there was much nothing she could do in that span. But of course, she could start looking for a job.

And of course, she would have to remember to respond to the name of Adelynn.

Westport, WA, USA
7th November, 2016, 12:06 a.m.

"We have executed a thorough search Mr. Mason. We found no evidence of struggle in the house. We only noticed an empty dock indicating that your wife might have taken a boat of some kind, a motorboat I presume out to the sea. I need you to answer some questions, Mr. Mason. And please answer them all truthfully," said the hard-jawed officer.

"Please ask your questions," John replied.

"Did your wife disappear with your child often in the past?"

"No. She's never done this before. She would never go away like this," said John. And she definitely wouldn't leave Westport, thought John. And that's what we fought about. But he did not say it aloud.

"Was your wife mentally sound?" the officer continued.

"Yes, she was perfectly fine." John wondered if that was really true. Jeanette could go berserk if she wanted to.

The man opposite him looked enquiringly at him.

"Were you on good terms with your wife, Mr. Mason?"

Damn it. John gulped.

"No," he admitted truthfully but did not elaborate.

"Could you tell me more, Mr. Mason?"

John sighed internally.

"We had an argument quite some time ago. I wanted to leave Westport with both of them. Jeannette refused and my daughter took her side. So I decided to go to Seattle alone. I already had a job there."

"And may I ask what you do Mr. Mason?"

"I work for Airbus. Aerospace engineering."

The officer raised an eyebrow in appreciation.

"Please continue. After you went to Seattle?"

"I stayed there for about two months. I returned to try and convince them again. But it didn't work." And we fought again. And I hit her.

"Yes. And then?" asked the officer, his suspicion barely contained.

"I returned back to Seattle. But I called my daughter regularly. I had hardly and communication with Jeannette."

"So you did not divorce, then?"

"No," he paused and then continued. "We saw no reason to."

The truth was he couldn't bare to divorce her. Something in his heart still tugged at the mention of her name. Fond memories of the good days returned and warmth coursed through his blood. But something had happened after Ava was born. Jeannette's demeanour had changed. She had become.... insane. Yes, insane. That was the word for it.

"What made you suspect that something was wrong?" asked the officer, snapping John out of his reverie.

"I called up the landline yesterday," John glanced at his watch. "No day before yesterday, just as I did everyday. No one picked even though I tried many times. That got me worried. I was in Bern at that time."

"And why were you in Bern, Mr. Mason?"

"I had to attend a conference." Damn this man, he's so inquisitive.

"So I presume that you reached the States last night?" the man continued.

"That is correct. I reached Seattle today- err, last night and I immediately took a cab down here."

"I see," he replied simply.

John could almost see the gears of his brain turn.

"That is all for now Mr. Mason. I hope you did not mind my questions. After all, everyone is a suspect until we find out what has happened. We have dispatched a team to search for them. I will notify you about any developments at the earliest."

"Thank you, sir," said John rising and extended a hand which the officer shook.

"Is there anything else you want to tell me Mr. Mason?" The officer shot him a probing look.

John hesitated. Should I tell him that I have my doubts about Jeannette?

"No. That is all. Thank you."