Chapter 22: Troubles

"Oh no, oh no, oh no!" Caroline almost cried as she ran through the campus trying to find her way to professor Prentiss' class of Musical Theory 1. Caroline couldn't even use her vampire speed since it was the busiest hour on campus, on Monday afternoon in the brightest of day light.

Caroline entered the right building, went up the stairs to the second floor and saw at the end of the hallway that professor Prentiss was just about to close the door.

"Wait!" Caroline cried out. "Wait, I'm coming! Please don't shut the door!"

Professor Prentiss glanced to see who was shouting like that and in that time Caroline managed to get to the door. Caroline put in her best "please-let-me-in" face and prof. Prentiss nodded, sighing heavily at the same time.

"Ms. Forbes?" She asked quietly before Caroline went to find her seat. "I assume that you have your assigment with you also?"

Caroline gulped loudly. She didn't, she didn't remember to write the essay that was suppose to deliver today. Caroline felt like the blush of shame crept on her face and she shook her head so little that only Prof. Prentiss saw it.

"Alright then." Professor said. "Seems like we need to discuss then. Stay after class." Prentiss turned to speak to the whole class and Caroline went to sit to the very back line and buried her face in her palms. This wasn't going so great as she'd have thought.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ms. Forbes... or may I say Caroline?" Prof. Prentiss asked after the class of Musical Theory 1 had dismissed and there was no one else I  the classroom anymore.

"Yeah, sure..." Caroline mumbled, "Professor, I'm really sorry, I won't be late again and I promise I will bring you that paper tomorrow, I promise!"

"Caroline. I'm afraid that it might not help you in this situation." Professor Prentiss said severely."I'm a little concerned abour your studies, Caroline. You seem like a nice and talented girl, and during the first lectures, I had a feeling that you would really put an effort for your studies in the field of music. But the further the semester goes, the lesser I see you attending and I have heard this from other teachers too."

Caroline lowered her sight, she was so embarrased. She had tried, but there was always some kind of a distraction.

"I'm not trying to be too harsh on you, Caroline. First year in college can be a though one. It's a whole new situation."

Caroline just nodded.

"I recommend you to think about very carefully what is it that you really want, from life and from your education. It's only a fair thing to do for yourself... and for your class mates, too. I will not have you attending to my class for the rest of the semester. I want you to think, if you really want to be in it, and then actually attend as you should."

"You're going to drop me out?!" Caroline gasped.

"Yes." Professor said. "Use this extra free time to figure out how much are you willing to do for your education. Get your life together."

Caroline raised her eyes to meet Professor Prentiss' eyes. Caroline saw that she had quite a determined look in her greyish-green eyes.

"Seems like there is nothing I an do about it, then." Caroline sighed and stood up to leave. There was no point of compelling Proffessor, she would have to do that to her other teachers too then.

Before Caroline could do anything else, Professor Prentiss had toom a firm grib from both of Caroline's upper arms. "Yes you can. Take your time and make room for your studies! I hate to see  such a potential thrown away. Get focused and start over next semester!" Then Professor squeezed gently Caroline's arms. "I'm only though for those I feel can handle it. You can. Now you're free to go." She let Caroline go.