Chapter 8: Not So Happy Halloween

Caroline appeared to the party with Elijah, who was dressed up as The Phantom of the Opera. The place was a three storey building and party was going on in the inner yard. Marcel was performing with the band and he was dressed as a Roman Emperor while band were like Roman soldiers. After few songs Marcel took a break and came to look for Caroline. Marcel just passed Elijah, who willingly moved to the shadows.  

"Ms. Caroline, I'm glad you're here." Marcel smiled. "Let's go mingle."  

Marcel took Caroline's hand and leaded her through the crowd. Caroline didn't have a chance to argue and in minutes Caroline felt like thst she was already represented to everyone in the party. Marcel certainly wanted to keep Caroline near him all the time, which Caroline found a bit odd and uncomfortable. Caroline searched for Elijah, but obviously he was trying to spy as much as he could while being there. Caroline took a deep breath and focused on not getting annoyed by Marcel.  

Marcel was babbling, but Caroline wasn't actually listening. She was looking at Klaus who had just arrived to the party. He had suited up and Caroline was admiring how good he looked in that elegant black suit. Marcel noticed Klaus's arrival too and took Caroline with him as he went to greet his sire.  

"Niklaus!" Marcel cried out. "My man, this is a costume party! Why have you put a suit on you?!" He said and put his arm around Caroline in a sort of possessive way. Caroline flinched a little and looked cautiously to Marcel.  

Marcel's act made Klaus feel utterly furious, but he had to keep his cool.  

"I'm dressed up as James Bond." Klaus said dryishly, "See, I have a gun with me." He continued and showed a gun in his jacket's bust pocket.   Marcel bursted into a big laughter which made both Klaus and Caroline to think about 'what the heck was going on'.  

"Ok, my friend," Marcel said tears of joy in his eyes, "Then it'll do. But I had wished that you would have gone little crazy with your outfit. Look at me, or sweet Caroline here! Isn't she cute as ever?!" Marcel talk about Caroline in a way that made her feel like an object.  

"You look adorable." Klaus said politely, keeping his cool.  

"Don't worry, Little Red Riding Hood," Marcel told Caroline, "there are no wolves in this town." Then he bursted into a laughter again.  

Caroline met Klaus's eyes. "My wolf is in town." She thought and gave a little smile to Klaus without Marcel noticing anything.  

The band started to play something that made Matcel feel like dancing.  

"Shall we dance?" He asked Caroline but without getting any answer he pulled her to the dance floor and started to twirl Caroline around again and again. Caroline went with the flow but got more and more irritated. She thought about the times when Klaus had asked her to dance, back in the days before they had gotten together. At least he had had manners to let her sort of decide whether she wanted to dance with him or not.  

As Marcel swinged Caroline around, she ended up memorizing her past with Klaus. So much had changed in short amount of time but now Caroline realized that she had been drawn to Klaus from the very beginning. "Almost like destiny." She thought. What if she hadn't been turned into a vampire, what if she hadn't been best friends with a Petrova Doppelgänger...  

Marcel bended Caroline suddenly, which made Caroline to snap out of her thoughts. It was the end of the song.  

"Thank you for a lovely dance, Ms." Marcel purred. He had kept Caroline all his own for the whole night. "It's almost midnight. I have to go to prepare the big thing. Don't dissappeare!"  

Marcel left Caroline standing in the middle of the crowd. He climbed up on the stage, where the band was playing. He signed them to stop and everybody turned to look at him, waiting for what would be happening next.  

"Greetings my friends!" Marcel shouted over the crowd. "Thank you for coming to my party! Have you guys had FUN?!?" He asked and the crowd roared to answer. "Fantastic!! But what is Halloween without any witch?"  

"NOTHING!!!" The people shouted.  

"That's what I thought so too!" Marcel laughed. "So here is our witch of the evening!" Marcel cried out and waved to his minions to reveal the decoration which had been hidden behind heavy velvet curtains behind the band. There was a pyramid of piled champagne glasses and on the top there was a witch, whose hands were tied up on some reels, so her hand were apart from her body. The witch's head was hooded.   Marcel climbed up, next to the witch and shouted.  

"This witch has broken the sacred rule of not to practice magic in my territory!"  

The people shouted something indefinetable.  

"I know!" Marcel answered. "They never learn! But lucky for us, because now..." Marcel drow a small silvery knife from his sleeves, "she'll pay for her crimes, by blood!" Marcel shouted and cut the veins of the witch's lower arms open. The witch trempled and grimaced out of sharp pain and the hood fell off.  

Caroline gasped horrified. The witch was Hazel.  

"Blood for everyone!" Marcel annouced as Hazel's blood runned like a small waterfall to the champagne glasses.

Everybody rushed forward for a drink but Caroline boiled inside. Tears of anger burned her eyes and the agony and the furious rage of seeing her dear friend suffering hit her. She was rushing towards Marcel to rip his head of for hurting Hazel when she felt an irony grip on her left arm, which she couldn't fight against. Someone pulled Caroline away from the blood-thirsty rushing crowd into the shadows of the pillars.  

"What's wrong, love?" Klaus whispered in the shadows.  

"It's Hazel. That witch over there" Caroline hissed. "Bleeding to death. We need to help her and make Marcel suffer." Caroline's eyes were full of anger.  

Klaus wasn't familiar with Hazel was but he realized that she had to be someone very dear to Caroline. "I sorry, love, but there is nothing we can do for her."  

"Wh...!" Caroline cried but Klaus silented her immediately by covering her mouth with his palm. Luckily the was so much noise, so no one heard or did pay attention.  

"Niklaus, Caroline." Elijah had appeared next to Klaus and Caroline. The look on his face revealed that he had seen who the punished witch was.  

"You two need to leave. Quietly." Klaus said severely.  

Elijah nodded, but Caroline just couldn't let go.  

"What?! No way! We need to do something!" She argued.  

"Caroline, low profile remember?" Klaus spatted.  

"She's my friend!"  

"She's nearly dead and you'll be too if you go there and try to harm Marcel!" Klaus had lost his patience, "You'll go, or I compel you to go."  

"You wouldn't dare!" Caroline challenged Klaus.  

"Watch me." Klaus said angrily and stared Caroline in the eyes. "You go home with Elijah, without any resistance and you won't say another word until I say so."  

Caroline shutted her mouth and pouted to Klaus.  

"Take her," Klaus said dimly to Elijah who had been silent for the whole argument, "we'll meet in a couple of hours."