Chapter 5: The Agreement

Klaus and Elijah headed to the old witch cemetery. They made sure that they were not followed by anyone. Soon Klaus and Elijah entered in to the cave where they had had previous discussions with the witches. Elijah stayed near the entry, sending a short text message to Sophie, to gather all the authoritative witches and join in the company of the Original brothers.

"It'll take some time." Elijah said to Klaus meaning that they would have to wait a while.

"Wouldn't it be easier to just kill Marcel?" Klaus pondered.

"We would gain only hatred with that action. He has hundreds of vampires with him."

"Does it matter? We are the most powerful, indestructable creatures in the whole world."

"Yes, but Caroline, or Lucas, isn't. For their sake we need to handle this in another way."

"By freeing the witches and gaining their alliance?"

"That is what I had in mind."

Klaus nodded. For Caroline's and Lucas's sake, things had to happen more smoothly and secretly. Open violence would only danger them. Sometimes he wished they would be as indestructible as he was. Klaus sighed, since that wasn't going to happen.

In an hour, three witches appeared in the cave. Sophie along with a little shabby, rumpled old man, who had a steel-gray hair and a young woman, who reminded Elijah about Hazel. She had similar round shaped face, blue-gray eyes and a same calm, motherly appearance, which was emphasized about the fact that she was carrying a child.

"These are Royce and Henrietta. We are the spokespersons of the three major covens of New Orleans. You wanted to talk?"

"Yes." Elijah nodded, taking the lead of the conversation. "We think it is time to take this city back to it's right trail. That means dethroning Marcel and The Original family taking the lead once again."

"What's it for us?" Royce said immediately with a iron voice.

Klaus flinched but Elijah gave him a quick, threathing look not to lash out. Then Elijah eyed on Royce, seeing through the wrinkles and the shabby appearance that he was a respectable man with a certain dignity and most likely, power. Royce had hard look in his eyes, as steely as the colour of his hair.

"Our coup d'état would also mean the freedom to the witch kind." Elijah said courteously. "But only if you make an alliance with us."

Elijah and Royce stared each other and to the rest it seemed like they were having a silent conversation. Klaus was getting sullen about the thick silence that fell in the cave, but he realized that either Sophie or this other witch girl, Henrietta, didn't mind. Finally, Royce offered his hand to Elijah, who answered it with a firm grip. They shook their hands and Royce turned to face Klaus.

"Do you agree?" Royce croaked with a raw voice, offering his hand to Klaus.

"Do I agree on what?" Klaus was a little stunned. "You two were agreeing something I know nothing about!?"

"Niklaus. Would I agree in something that could harm our family in anyway? Just shake his hand." Elijah said severely. "Trust me."

Klaus looked in Royce's eyes, trying to get behind the iron walls he obviously had put on to hide his emotions and thoughts. Then Klaus thought about his family, Caroline and Lucas. "For their sake I must do this." Klaus said in his mind and took Royce's hand and shook it. Royce nodded, first to Klaus, then Elijah and then the female witches.

"It is done then." Royce said in a dark voice. "We should get going."

The female witches turned to make their exit and Royce followed them. As Sophie and Henrietta were out, Royce stopped by the exit, turned and focused his eyes on Klaus's, who flinched as he heard Royce's croaky voice inside his head.