Chapter 20: Who Said It Would Be Pleasant?

“STOP THAT RIGHT AWAY!!!” Caroline screamed. “He's not a toy!”

“Alright, alright...” Rebekah rolled her eyes but didn't put Lucas down. “But he was perfectly fine! And I would have caught him, you know, if needed. You are so overly protective, Caroline.”

“No, I'm being a mother.” Caroline said with her voice ice cold and took Lucas away from Rebekah, who was reluctant of letting him go.

“Still, I recommend you to loose it up a bit.” Rebekah said and sailed away from the living room to catch up with Klaus and Elijah at the library.

From the moment Rebekah let her eyes on Lucas, she has been overly fascinated about him. Now she had been flying Lucas through the air, which Lucas seemed to find extremely fun but gave Caroline hard time to concentrate for the preparations while she feared if something might happen to her son in the hands of his over excited aunt. Sometimes the vampire kind, especially the Original ones, lost their sense how much stronger they were compared to others. It would have been nothing if Caroline, or anyone else would have known what species Lucas was and how much roughness he could handle. For now, they were still ignorant since at the moment, Lucas seemed nothing but a normal healthy human baby.

“Caroline, do you need a hand in the kitchen?” Matt asked quietly.

“Oh, Matt, but you are our guest...” Caroline mumbled.

“I don't mind.” Matt laughed. “It would be nice to useful in someway. You seem pretty stressed, Care. And I would rather stay away from Klaus' radar.”

“What?! Has he been rude to you.” Caroline felt the tension creeping to her temples, she was going to have a massive headache at the end of the day. “I'm going to kill him, if he's been nothing but polite to you...”

“No, no, chill out.” Matt calmed Caroline down. “I just don't feel that comfortable around him, you know.”

“Then follow me.” Caroline said and lead Matt to the kitchen.

Bringing Matt to the kitchen was a big mistake. Caroline had to work on a vampire speed to get it all together. She was like a mini tornado inside the kitchen, twirling around making sure everything was in order. Lucas was giggling in her arms while Matt was just on the way, all the time.

“Um.... Matt, I think it is best if you go.” Caroline said after half an hour of growing chaos inside the kitchen. “I can get it all done, seriously. Just... keep... Rebekah busy.” Caroline said while she cut the carrots.

“Do you want me to take Lucas with me?” Matt asked.

“No, I can handle him as well.” Caroline said, although she wasn't that sure about that. She placed him on a sitter on the side table, where she kept some kettles and stuff.

“Okay...” Matt said suspiciously and left the kitchen, slightly shaking his head.

Caroline tried to concentrate on the cooking. She stirred the gravy, set the sweet potatoes into the kettle to boil, searched for the cranberry sauce which she had made the day before from the fridge and checked the turkey in the oven. Her headache still kept going and when Lucas found out how kettles next to him could be awesome drums, she was half-way to the mental breakdown. All Caroline had wanted was a perfect Thanksgiving for her family, yet she felt everything was falling apart.

“Is she here?” Caroline her someone saying quietly before the kitchen door started to open. The timing couldn't be more wrong since the sweet potatoes were overcooking and Lucas smashed all the kettles on the floor just then, making a horrible noise.

“GET OUT OF MY KITCHEN!!!” Caroline yelled and threw a knife to the opening door. It stuck right in the middle and the blade went though the thin door.