In the Dark

The sun was setting as I walked towards the old schoolhouse. It hasn't been put to much use since the curse was broken, and there was no such thing as school in the Enchanted Forest.

I was able to sneak out of my house in jeans and a hoodie, telling Darling that I was going to babysit Henry. It wasn't a complete lie.

Instead of a my usual purse, I had a backpack that was weighing on my back. I had packed an extra set of clothes in case I got messy.

The tramp did say there were no rules. I just wanted to be prepared, avoid all the interrogation from my parents that was possible.

I readjusted the backpack to sling on one shoulder since it was hurting my back. I really needed to get used to wearing these things.

After a few minutes, I finally saw Henry walking up the sidewalk.

"I wonder why he wanted to meet behind the school." Henry said. "I mean, I know he's the tramp and all.."

I shrugged, as we headed around back.

"Are you sure about this?" Henry asked.

I was sure of one thing. Tramp said that I was going to get a night of freedom, no rules, no restrictions. And I was going to get that. If that involved meeting him in the back of a school with Henry, then that didn't seem like too much of a risk.

"I'm sure."

By that time, we had been engulfed in the darkness that was the forest behind the school. Henry and I stood in a small clear.

We waited a few moments for the tramp to show up.

"Hey there.." A voice came from behind Henry.

"Hi.." Henry replied.

I squinted my eyes to see that it definitely was not the Tramp approaching us.

"What are you two doing out here in the dark?" It was a boy with a very monotonous voice. Very dreary. Didn't sound like anyone I met before. And he definitely didn't have the sound of magic that Tramp had his voice wrapped in.

"We're waiting for a friend." Henry responded, seeing the shock on my face and realizing that this was not Tramp.

"A friend, you say?" The monotonous voice sounded again.

Along with a bright flash and a loud boom.