Chapter 45

They were at the cemetery, standing in front of Mitchell Jessup's grave.

"You holding up okay?" Detective Bree Wade asked her partner, Mark Jessup. 

He was wearing sunglasses and looked up at the sun. "Yeah. I'm fine. To be honest, it's better that he had a heart attack after he confessed. He would've been too old to go to jail."

Bree nodded. 

Mark turned away and headed towards another headstone.

"We're not leaving?" Bree asked, surprised.

Mark shook his head. "I need to pay respect to the man who saved my sister's life."

Bree frowned. It was unfortunate for Adam Hargrove but he died after jumping in front of his wife and taking the fatal gunshot from Roger.

"And you? How's your Catholic guilt holding up after taking out Roger Lambert?" Bree asked.

"I'm at peace," Mark admitted. "He wasn't human. He was a monster."

"Have you visited Calista Dover? She still hasn't had her trial yet."

Mark shook his head. "She may be blood-related but she won't even admit that. I consider her a lost cause."

"Only her grandfather has been willing to stand by her side."

"True, but the great Sebastian Dover has disowned her."

Bree nodded. It had made quite a stir in the news when Calista Dover had been arrested for her involvement in Calista Hargrove's attempted murder.

"You going to see Calista at the hospital?" She was referring to Calista Hargrove.

Mark grinned. "Not today."

"But her bandages come off. She's going to look like her old self today."

Mark shrugged. "I know. But I have a feeling her and her boyfriend are going to want to spend the day together. Even though we get along now, I don't want to see them all lovey-dovey in front of me. I'll see her tomorrow."

"I know he told you he's going to propose soon. That means she'll be Calista Dover," Bree cringed.

"They'll figure it out. Besides, haven't you seen them together? He doesn't call her Calista anymore. He calls her Callie."

"Calsita is such a pretty name, I'm not sure I would like to be called Callie," Bree said.

"True, but since she had to get a nickname, he got one too."

"Really? What's she calling him?"

Mark snickered. "Seb or Bastian. She hasn't decided. They've been through a lot the past few months so I hope it all works out for them." Mark's phone dinged and he glanced at the text before laughing. "Speak of the devil."

"Is it Calista?" Bree asked, looking over his shoulder. 

Mark nodded. "It's a text message reminding me to come over to see her today."

Bree shoved her partner. "See? She considers you family and wants to see you...not just her boyfriend."

Mark stretched his arms out to his sides. "Ahhh...I guess I will go to the hospital. After all, as her big brother, I can't disappoint her." 

The End

Don't skip the bonus chapters! Thank you for reading! If you enjoyed the story, follow my profile