Chapter 26

Detective Mark Jessup was feeling full of himself. He leaned back in his chair with a fat smile on his face.

His partner Shelby smirked and shook her head. "I take it you turned that candy in to get checked for DNA to match with the homicide from--"

"Shhh." Mark placed a finger to his lips. "It's a secret. I just got an earful from the Captain about the Dovers."

"You're going to get yourself fired if you keep bothering them."

"They're bad people. If police don't bother bad people, who are they supposed to bother? Good people?"

"Forget it." Shelby sighed. "It's useless trying to argue with you."

Mark grinned. "That's true. I almost feel bad for Calista Dover."

"Why is that?"

"Because I asked them to check her DNA from A to Z. If she's got any deep dark secrets, they're about to come to light."

"You're really creepy sometimes, you know that?" his partner asked, shaking her head again.

Mark leaned back again and closed his eyes. "Soon, I'll know everything there is to know about Calista Dover."

The ride home was uncomfortable for Calista

The ride home was uncomfortable for Calista. Sebastian sat next to her, staring out the window while Roger drove. She cleared her throat but her words felt stuck in her throat. She forced a smile and in an overly chipper voice, said, "Wow, I have such a protective big brother."

Sebastian turned a pair of icy blue eyes toward her.

"Isn't that right, Roger?" Calista asked, meeting Roger's eyes in the rearview mirror.

"You are his only sister," Roger said dryly.

"I know...but to go to such extremes. What is it? Are there bodyguards tailing me? Did you plant some kind of chip on me?"

"What are you talking about?" Sebastian asked.

"How else could you have known I was at the police station?" Calista asked, noticing Sebastian's hand tightened around his phone. "Did you track me through my phone? Ahhh...that's got to be it since you gave me my phone."

"Mr. Dover just wants to ensure your safety," Roger said from the front seat.

"How unsafe can it be at a police station?"

Roger turned away from her again and Calista sighed in frustration.

"Why did you go to the police station?" Sebastian asked.

"I wanted to know about whatever that detective was talking about. He said he had some of my old diaries," Calista answered. She noticed that Roger's eyes were staring at Sebastian. "Is there something in those diaries that could get me in trouble? He said I wrote the name of the man I had a crush on in them."