Chapter 32

Adam closed his eyes, listening to the roar of the late night talk show in the background as he pondered what he should do next. Yvonne had left him six voice messages and his mother had practically run him out of the hospital after his father had woken from his coma.

"A wife needs some alone time with her husband. Go home and rest. You can visit him tomorrow."

He wanted to spend more time with his father but the doctor told him it would not be good for him to be overly excited. Adam begrudgingly went home only to be reminded that his wife was still alive and in hiding. He still didn't quite understand what she meant when she said someone was after her. Who would want Calista dead? And why? She was a substitute teacher and his wife. Those were her two main roles in life and he couldn't picture her upsetting anyone to the point that they'd want her dead.

He wanted to drag her back home but she was insistent on playing the part of a Dover. He didn't have a clue what to do next. His doorbell rang and he dreaded it being Yvonne. She was persistent and the type to show up unannounced.

He was surprised to see that it wasn't Yvonne waiting for him, but Calista dressed in a designer cloak and sunglasses which she had pushed downward so he could recognize her distinct blue eyes.

He looked past her as he pulled her through the doorway. "What are you doing here so late? I thought you said we shouldn't act like we know one another."

"I had to see you," Calista said softly.

Adam tilted his head to one side, pointing a finger at her. "Your voice..."

Her hand flew to her throat. "M-my voice?"

"Did you take something? It's not husky like it's been since--"

Calista shook her head. "No, it comes and goes after a few days. My throat hasn't been the same."

Adam's mouth twisted as he thought about the smoke she had inhaled the day prior.

"I'm sorry to show up unannounced but I figured we should talk," Calista said, removing her cloak and sitting on the sofa.

Adam flipped of the television and sat next to her. "I know you said someone was trying to hurt you but as hard as I think about it, I can't imagine who would want to kill you."

"Can't you?" Calista turned her head to the family pictures that hung on the wall. She stood up and walked to their wedding photo. "That woman is gone, isn't she?"

Calista held up the photo and pointed to herself. "My face isn't the same, is it?"

"No, you look like a different person. Slightly different. There are things you can't change...like your eyes."

She tapped the gold necklace that clung to her neck.

"You still have that?" Adam asked, pointing to the necklace that had her name. "I haven't seen it on you. I gave it to you so long ago."

She turned her back to him, replacing the photo. "I came here because I wanted to ask you something."

Adam waited for her to continue.

"If you love someone, can you forgive them for anything?"

"What do you mean?"

"I heard it on some lame movie. Something like that. Love means you never have to say sorry. That you'll always forgive the person you love...for anything."

"Not everything is forgivable," Adam said slowly, his eyes narrowing. "Why are you asking that?"

"You said it earlier. Someone is trying to kill me. For all I know it's you."