Chapter 28

Being in the Wal Mart parking lot past seven in the evening always made Calista feel uncomfortable. It didn't matter that the parking lot was deserted. Her eyes darted around before she pressed the button that unlocked her car. She lifted the trunk and began placing her groceries inside. Headlights suddenly blinded her and she lifted an arm to shield her eyes.

"You need help?" a man's voice asked.

Calista shook her head. "No. I'm fine, thanks."

Before she realized what was happening, he approached her. She took a step back but he pulled her forward, covering her mouth with a white cloth. Before she went unconscious, she heard him say, "I don't know who you pissed off enough to want you dead, but you should've been more careful, Calista Hargrove."

Calista opened her eyes and rubbed her temples, trying to remember the rest of the memory. That was the night of St. Anthony's. She was alone with Adam in a hospital room. She had already talked to Roger, insisting that he and Sebastian stay at the office and deal with the aftermath of the fire.

Adam's eyes bore into hers and she fidgeted in the hospital bed.

"I want to go home," Calista said, pretending she didn't know what Adam had on his mind.

"Our home?" he asked.

Her eyes flashed towards his and she shivered at the mask of controlled fury his face had become.

"You're my wife," he hissed. "Why are you pretending to be Calista Dover? You're Calista Hargrove and don't for a moment try lying to me again. I know you. Every inch of you inside and out...I know you."

She lifted her chin. "I don't know what you're talking about. Perhaps you inhaled too much smoke from the fire."

"Don't give me that crap. Do you know how worried I've been? Dammit, even my parents--"

"What about your parents?"

He smirked. "You wanna tell me again that you're not my wife? I'm pretty sure Calista Dover wouldn't give a damn about my parents. Why are you doing this? Were you trying to leave me? I can't believe that."

"I'm not sure what you want me to say." Calista clenched her hands, unsure of what she should do next.

"You're my wife! If I have to make them do a DNA test, I will. It doesn't matter who you look like, I can easily prove it. You know it too so why don't you do some explaining now?"

"Adam--"

He began pacing the small room, running a hand through his dark hair. "I can't believe I was so worried about you. I've imagined this moment a million times over. We'd see each other and run into one another's arms. It'd be like one of those soap operas you loved to watch. I was going to be relieved. Elated. Overjoyed."

"Adam--"

"Instead, I'm pissed that you've been lying to me all this time. Why? Why have you been hiding yourself? Do you--"

"Enough!" Calista shouted. "You won't even let me get a word in. You want the truth? Fine. I'm tired of lying. I've had so many plans when it came to you. When I found out you were working for Dover Industries, I wanted to crush you. I wanted to destroy everything about you. Especially after I found out you were dating Yvonne. How could you?"

"What?"

"How could you date another woman when my body hadn't even been found?" Tears threatened to escape. "Forget that! What's worse is that I know what you tried to do. I can't stop you from trying again but now I'm on to you and I'll never forgive you."