Chapter 22

"Calista?" Adam repeated. His eyes narrowed as he leaned forward.

Calista smirked as she carefully placed the doll back in its place. "That's my name. Don't wear it out."

Adam felt the air leave his chest as though someone had punched him. "What did you say?"

"Is something wrong, Mr. Hargrove?" Calista asked innocently.

"My wife used to say that all the time," Adam admitted.

Calista turned away from him, pretending to feign interest in a box of Legos. "Is that so?"

"Yes."

"What was her name?"

Adam shook his head as if he were trying to shake some sense into himself. "You...you said you don't remember anything before waking up at St. Anthony's, right?"

"Yes, why do you ask?"

He was staring at those big blue eyes of hers. Eyes he swore he recognized.

"I heard that you needed reconstructive surgery after the explosion," Adam said.

"So?"

"Nothing, it's probably nonsense," Adam muttered.

Calista sighed. "If you have something to say, just say it. There's no reason to beat around the bush."

"Are you upset?" Adam asked, surprised by the sharpness in her tone of voice.

"No, of course not. I just think you should say whatever it is you have to say. I hate it when people mumble things and expect another person to understand what's going on."

Adam picked up the doll Calista had put away. He rocked the doll so he could see it blink and then looked up at Calista. "My wife and I always wanted children."

"I hear a lot of women do."

"My wife...she disappeared."

Calista placed a hand to her mouth, pretending to be shocked. "That must've been hard on you. Luckily you have Yvonne Barrette to comfort you."

Adam frowned. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Isn't Yvonne your girlfriend?"

Adam put the doll away. "You don't understand anything."

"Again with the mumbling." Calista shook her head. She looked at the closed door. "I'm surprised the kids haven't found us yet. They must not be very good at hide-and-seek."

Adam looked away. "You really don't remember anything before St. Anthony's?"

Calista's eyes narrowed. "I told you I didn't."

"Then what if...what if you were someone else and now you just think you're Calista Dover?"

Calista felt a tingle of apprehension run down her back. "What do you mean?" She knew exactly what he meant.

"Your eyes," Adam whispered. "They're the same color as my wife's. It was one of the first things I noticed about you."

"When I was in the hospital, it was the first thing my brother noticed about me too. I'm sure they ran blood tests at the hospital to prove I was Calista Dover."

"Are you sure?" Adam asked.

Calista laughed. "I was sent to the most expensive hospital you can imagine. Of course I'm sure. What is with these questions? Are you thinking I'm your missing wife?" She was smiling as if he were jesting.

"Maybe."

"Has your wife been missing for awhile now? Why are you suddenly thinking I'm her?"

"There's just too many similarities," Adam said. "In the things you two say. I can't shake this feeling that--"

"That you're crazy?" Calista finished for him.

"That you're Calista. My wife's name was Calista as well."

Calista looked at the door again. "I think we should leave. These kids are taking too long to find us."

She reached for the door but Adam tossed the doll he had been holding and grabbed her hand, forcing her to face him. Calista stumbled and lost her footing on the doll he dropped, causing her to fall.

"You idiot!" Calista hissed as she turned over onto her back.

Adam crouched down beside her. "I have to know the truth. Are you my wife?"

"I told you I wasn't." Calista tried sitting up but Adam stopped her.

"I have to know." Without warning, he leaned over and pressed his lips to hers. Calista was surprised by the familiarity of his touch. She attempted to push him away but he would let her get away from him. Instead he licked the seam of her lips, forcing her to open her mouth. He deepened their kiss and that's when they heard laughter.

They both froze as they heard the sound of young children laughing. Calista pulled away from a stunned Adam and looked past him to see three children staring at them from the doorway. Sebastian and Yvonne stood behind them.

"And that, boys and girls," Calista said in a weakened voice, "is how you do CPR."