Chapter 31

"Grandpa, you scared me. I thought I almost lost you." Mark sat beside his grandfather's bed as he recuperated from the panic attack he just had. "What the hell happened?"

Mitchell Jessup rolled his eyes. "I told you I was fine. You can leave now before my roommate comes back. I don't want him to see you hovering all over me like some chicken. You'll ruin my rep."

"Chicken? Rep? I'm pretty sure you can't have much of a tough guy reputation at a nursing home. The doctor didn't want to admit you but I'm not leaving you alone. What triggered your attack? Was it because I found one of my sisters or because she's a Dover?"

"She's not a Dover," Mitchell hissed.

Mark didn't want to argue with the old man. Instead, he leaned forward in his chair, staring at the wooden flooring. He needed to know what happened with Calista after she was born but now wasn't the time. Hours ago, when his grandfather was being transported to the hospital, he was sure the old man was having a heart attack. It was a miracle it was just a severe panic attack. The doctor told him panic and heart attacks can sometimes be confused with one another.

"Dammit, I just want to sleep," Grandpa Mitchell muttered. "Go home, Mark. You can come back tomorrow. I promise I'll still be here."

Mark nodded. He knew his grandfather would eventually tell him everything. He just had to wait. Mark tapped his fingers against his knee before standing up. "Alright. I'll see you tomorrow. You better still be alive or I won't plant flowers at your grave."

He turned to leave and could've sworn he heard his grandfather mutter the words "stingy dumbass." Mark smiled. He'd be back and if his grandfather wasn't helpful in giving him answers, there was always Calista Dover.

Adam listened to the nurse as she explained how Adam's father could hear them even though he was in a coma

Adam listened to the nurse as she explained how Adam's father could hear them even though he was in a coma. It was something he was told every time he visited, so he smiled patiently at the nurse until she finally left him alone. His mother had left an hour earlier to run errands.

"If you can hear me, you know that I've found Calista. You can wake up now," Adam said. "I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing. I need you to tell me what to do."

Jonathan Hargrove's fingers slightly moved. Adam froze as he stared at his father's hand.

"Dad?"

He jumped up and ran to the door to call a doctor or a nurse. Meanwhile, he missed seeing his father's eyes slowly open.

Jonathan Hargrove squeezed his eyes shut as he tried to understand what was going on. He remembered being in his car, driving Then everything went blank. Now he was in a hospital room, a group of medical staff staring down at him.

"Welcome back, Mr. Hargrove," the attending doctor said. "You've been in a coma for some time now. Your wife will be delighted to see you."

He wanted to know how long he'd been in a coma. He stared at his son whose eyes were brimming with tears. What the hell had happened?

A sudden memory of him answering a call about his daughter-in-law from his wife came to mind. He remembered disconnecting the call and receiving another call about Calista.

"Everything's screwed up. Nothing turned out the way it was supposed to. You're to blame for this. You know that, right? You're going to regret screwing this up."

He shivered at the memory of the angry phone call. His head pounded and the doctor shook his head. "Don't stress yourself over being here. You're going to be alright."

Going to be alright?

Not for long if he had truly screwed things up. Being in a coma had probably bought him some time but now that he had awoken, it was only a matter of time before the person he angered would find out. He wanted to ask about Calista but couldn't. The oxygen mask prevented him from speaking and he wasn't even sure he could get to a telephone.

How could he possibly ask if Calista was still alive?