16

CH. 16 -- PATRICK

The flight to Riverside, California isn't as bad as I was expecting it to be. It's an awkward thing sitting next to Nick for the two and a half hour flight, however.

I still find it hard to keep my eyes off of him, honestly, even though I know I'm getting over him. Slowly but surely. And what's even worse about the whole sitting next to Nick thing is that my nose is swollen like fuck, and I'm sure I look like literal hell.

Running a hand through my hair, I stand up and make my way to the bathroom. It's empty, thank god. I shut the door and lock it behind me before turning the tap on.

The cool water on my face helps me relax a little. The mirror above the sink confirms my suspicions about my nose. It looks really bad, but it hasn't bled since yesterday morning, so I should be good to play.

When I sit back down, the lights on the plane have been lowered because most everyone is asleep. The only people awake are me, Andy, and Travie.

I get a wink from Travie as I walk by him, and I roll my eyes. Travie's been hitting on me since day one, and even though he's extremely attractive, I just don't see him like that.

Andy just nods at me as I walk past him, sitting down next to Nick, who is definitely asleep. He doesn't even stir when I plop down next to him.

I sigh and lean my chair back a bit as I close my eyes and try to get some sleep. My head is killing me and has been since Monday when Andy decided to throw that ball at me.

It feels like I've only closed my eyes for two seconds before the lights come back on in the plane, and the pilot's voice comes over the loudspeaker. "Hello, gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We are rapidly approaching Riverside. Prepare for landing."

A few incoherent groans are the only things said in response. I lean my seat back up and buckle my seatbelt before shaking Nick's shoulder to wake him up.

"Huh?" Nick asks sleepily as his eyes open slowly. A small smile appears on his face when we meet eyes.

I swallow the lump forming in my throat as I choke out, "We're landing."

"Thanks, P." He leans his own seat up and buckles his seatbelt as I force my eyes away from him.

--

The announcements, prayer, and National Anthem go through without incidents for today's game. As soon a I get back in the dugout, I'm being pulled to the side by Pete and Brent.

"I still don't think he should play." Pete says as he eyes me up and down. "No offence, but you look terrible." I clench my jaw. After three days of not speaking, the first thing Pete does is insult me.

"It's not your fucking choice, you dick." I push Pete away and try to walk the other way, but a hand on my shoulder stops me.

"Unfortunately, Pete, Patrick's right. It isn't your choice. It's mine." Brent says, and I roll my eyes at that.

"Brent, I'm fucking fine. I have a broken nose, I'm not crippled. Stop acting like I'm dead." I say, and Brent raises an eyebrow.

"You haven't even heard what I have to say, Patrick." Brent shakes his head as a small smile appears on his face. "You can play. You practiced yesterday and played without incident, so there's nothing keeping me from letting you play." Pete and I gasp at that.

"Brent, you can't- he can't- his nose is fucking broken!" Pete tries, but Brent shakes his head.

"Technically, it was only broken for about ten minutes before I snapped it back into place. He's fine, Pete, really." Brent says, shaking his head at Pete's 'but wait's.

When Pete finally gives up and walks over to the bench with a nasty look on his pretty face, I turn back to Brent. "Thank you." I say as he snorts.

He looks around before lowering his voice. "You know he only cares about you. I heard you two got into a fight earlier this week. That's not what this was about, he just doesn't want you hurt worse."

"What the.. who told you we had a fight?" I ask as I look him in the eyes. Brent smiles at me before shrugging.

"You'll find out quickly that most things don't go over my head here." Brent explains, but then he laughs. "Nah, I'm fucking with you. Andy told me."

I roll my eyes and look at Andy, who's on deck as Frank steps up to the plate. "Why did he tell you?"

"He tells me everything, kid. You better go, you're almost up." Brent nods as I thank him once more.

I make my way over to Pete. "I'm still completely fucking pissed at you from Monday, but thanks for caring about me." I say before grabbing my helmet and placing it on my head.

Pete smiles softly before handing me my elbow guard. As I strap it on and grab my bag, he mouths, "Good luck," to me.

As I get on deck and watch Nick bat, I find my mind wondering back to Pete. I know he didn't mean anything by what he said on Monday, but it really hurt my feelings. But he did have a point. Am I afraid of people knowing I have a job? Or am I afraid of everyone knowing I'm gay?

I clear my mind when they call Nick out at first. He jogs up to get the bat from me, and leans down to whisper in my ear. "Watch high, inside." He bumps our helmets together and gives me an award winning smile before running off of the field.

I don't get butterflies from his smile this time, and he's not on my mind as I get in the batter's box. Clearing my head is easy when I look at the field in front of me.

I relax, picking the bat off of my shoulders. The first pitch I'm thrown is a ball, high and inside, like Nick said it would be. I take a deep breath and prepare for the next pitch, which I hit in the left center gap.

I get a double out of it, and the person yelling the loudest for me in the dugout is Pete. It brings a smile to my face.

so i'm going to my aunt's in about an hour. it's a six hour drive, but i have to drive halfway, so i can't write. that sucks.

but i'll try to update soon

happy thxgiving everyone