06

CH. 6 -- PATRICK

"What do you want me to do today, Coach?" I ask, bouncing on the balls of my feet. Coach smirks at me and turns to the field.

"Hmm, Ross!" He shouts. A guy in Pete's grade comes jogging up to Coach from his place on the field. "Throw a bullpen to Stump."

"Yes, sir." Ross says, smiling at Coach. He runs back to the dugout and grabs his glove before going to the bullpen beside the field. I follow him.

"So how long have you been pitching?" I ask as I throw the ball back to him, and he laughs.

"I've never pitched a day in my life. I'm a left fielder." Ross says, and I catch the ball and then pull my helmet off.

"You're serious?" I ask, and Ross nods, holding his glove up for me to throw the ball back to him. I put my helmet on and do what he wants.

"Coach likes to mess with the new guys. And he figures if you can catch someone that's not a pitcher, you can catch anyone." Ross explains, throwing a ball in the dirt. I fall to my knees and block it up, eyeing him as I throw it back.

"You kind of really suck at this." I say, and Ross laughs, throwing one up, and I have to stand to catch it.

"You don't, so that's good." Ross says, laughing again. When he finally gets calm, he's not that bad of a pitcher (for a left fielder, at least), but he's not Pete.

"Stump, Ross, come on. We're cutting practice short today since we're flying out early tomorrow morning." Coach calls out to us. We both jog over to the group of guys waiting for us. Pete isn't here to break the huddle so a boy with black hair and a semi-beard takes it upon himself to do it, and we all shout 'Huskies' with him.

As I'm walking off with Ryan, someone grabs my shoulder and turns me around. It's the guy that broke the huddle. "I'm Spencer Smith, and I'm your roommate."

"I'm-" I try to say, but he cuts me off, a grin on his face.

"You're Patrick Stump. I've heard all about you." Spencer says, and he explains further after the way I look at him. "Nick talks about you a lot."

"Really?" And I feel butterflies in my stomach at that. "He talks about me?"

"All the time." Spencer says, and just like that, I know I have my second crush on a guy ever. My first was definitely Pete. That's why I was always such a dick to him, because I felt things I wouldn't usually allow myself to feel when I was around him.

"Oh, uh, yeah thanks." I know my face is probably as red as a tomato, and that's the only thing I hate about having pale skin.

"I was just introducing myself so that it won't be weird when we have to room. And I spend most of my time in Ross and Beckett's room anyways, so I won't be a bother." Spencer says, and he's not giving anymore details, so I'm not asking.

"That's cool, I think Nick and I were going to study anyways." I say, and Spencer's eyebrows raise.

"Alright, dude." Spencer smiles at me before waving and walking towards the dugout. I follow after him, sitting on the bench when I get there and removing my gear piece by piece.

I'm the last one here. I walk up the steps and stand behind our barrier to the field from the dugout, leaning against it. Everything is so surreal. I never expected to get a scholarship to the University of Washington, yet here I am.

The only thing that sucks about it is that I have no one standing beside me, rooting me on. I swear I haven't been laid since I got here, either. Maybe that could change tomorrow, if Nick shows any interest in me. I sit down on a step and put my head in my hands, smiling widely.

This is all too good to be true. I feel like I'm going to go to bed and wake up a seventh grader again. Playing college baseball has always been one of my number one dreams, and now that it's come true, I can barely function.

I get up and grab my bag, heading to my dorm so I can get some sleep before I have to be up at six thirty tomorrow morning to catch my eight o'clock flight. "Pete?" I say as I approach my door. He's sitting beside my door, head in his hands, shivering. "Pete?" I repeat, but he doesn't answer.

I set my bag down and offer him a hand. He takes it, and his hand is like ice. I wonder how long he's been out here, but I don't say anything, waiting for him to offer an explanation. He almost falls down when he stands up, and I have to wrap my arms around his waist to keep him standing. "I walked here, forgetting you were at practice, and I fell and couldn't get back up." He mumbles, arms hooking around my neck.

"Jesus, Pete." I say, and to get him inside, I have to fully pick him up, bridal style. I open the door, glad that I left the son of a bitch unlocked since I forgot my key again. I take him to my bed and lay him down in it, pulling the covers up around him.

I walk to the bathroom and get a washcloth, running warm water on it. Then I walk to the kitchen and get a bottle of water, taking it back to Pete.

"Sit up." I say, and he obliges. I have to help him drink the water, and fuck, if he's not better by tomorrow, we're all screwed. "What we're you thinking? It's forty fucking degrees."

"I was thinking that I didn't want to be alone or do something that I would regret. So I came to you." Pete says, and I sigh, dabbing his forehead with the washcloth

"What happened?" I ask, and he closes his eyes before answering me.

"Ashlee broke up with me because I cheated on her. It was stupid of me, I don't know why I didn't just break up with her instead of cheating." He rushes out, and I shake my head at him.

"Come on, Pete, I know you're smarter than that. Start acting like it, or you're going to lose more than just your girlfriend." I say, and he nods, biting his lip.

"I just feel so bad." Pete says, and I run my hand through his hair.

"You owe Ashlee an apology, not me."

"I know, Patrick. I know." Pete dozes off then, and I text Coach to let him know that Pete isn't looking good. Pete won't be happy that I texted Coach, but it's for the best that I did.

wow it's been a while since I updated sorry about that.