00

PROLOGUE -- PETE

Ever since I was a little boy, baseball was one of my passions. With my family not being the richest and having three children, sacrifices were made for me to play. When I made all stars for the first time at age twelve (playing in the local city league), my parents were unable to go, instead sending me with my best friend and his parents, who are much richer.

I was having the time of my life until I met who would be my catcher, Patrick Stump. Patrick was nothing short of an asshole. He was too young to be in our league (two years too young, actually), but because of his abilities, he was moved up.

Playing twelve and under as a ten year old wouldn't be easy, one would think. But it was if your last name was Stump. Patrick's family was loaded, and he had one of those 'I can do what the fuck I want' attitudes, which carried on past little league and into high school.

Patrick and I were always paired together with everything, even though I'm two years his senior, because of our status on the field. With me being a pitcher and him being my catcher in little league, our varsity coach got word very quick of us.

As a freshman, I started varsity pitching, with a seventh grader as my catcher. He was always made fun of until he would come up to hit in the third spot and jack one over the fence. Or when we were in the field and he'd gun their fastest runner down.

When I graduated, my school had a hard time letting go. Patrick stopped playing school ball, actually, because he'd never caught for anyone else since he was ten. But Patrick himself was very happy that I graduated because, up until then, everything was always about us together.

We'd have to fake smiles and throw our arms around each other on the field because the crowds would eat that shit up. In reality, we couldn't even be in the same room for more than ten minutes without having an argument.

Graduation day brought tears, loads of pictures, and scholarships. I was looked at by several schools, receiving multiple scholarships. Up until that day, I'd put off choosing which college, only narrowing it down to three -- the University of Georgia, Texas A&M, and the University of Washington.

I went with Washington, choosing the stay away from the southern heat. What I didn't expect with going that far from home was for someone from my past to follow me.

Patrick Stump.