14

CH. 14 -- PATRICK

"Ready for baseball?" Andy asks me when I bump into him at the café the next morning, and I groan at the thought of it.

"Definitely not. That's why I'm here, hoping to find something to help me get out of it." I admit, and Andy just grins as he pays for his drink.

"Don't know if you'll find anything of that sort here, but good luck. See you in fifteen." Andy walks out of the door a few seconds later saying nothing else, only waving as the door closes. I sigh and pay for my own drink before taking it and following him out.

If I'm late to workouts, I'll have to run extra sprints, and that's the last thing I need. I don't need to get roped into another conversation with Nick, and he's almost always late, so we'd be running them together.

I end up catching up to Andy a few minutes later, and we arrive ten minutes early, changing from our street clothes to baseball pants and our practice jerseys. As I'm pulling on my cleats, Pete, Josh, and Tyler walk up together, laughing about something.

I place my hat upon my head before spinning it around backwards. The sun isn't even fully out yet, and today already looks like it's going to be cloudy. "Throw with me?" I ask Andy, and he shrugs, grabbing a ball.

As I'm throwing, I turn my attention to Pete for a split second. He's staring at me. And then I hear a yell, but my reflexes aren't fast enough to catch the ball coming at my head before it hits me in the nose.

"Oh shit. Oh holy fucking shit." I groan, falling to the ground. Andy and Pete both come rushing over, and one of them makes me tilt my head back while the other calls out for Tyler and Josh. Josh brings a towel, and Tyler runs to go get Coach.

"Fuck, Patrick, I'm so sorry. I didn't realise you weren't looking." Andy apologises, and I just nod, choosing not to speak right now.

"Oh hell. Who broke my catcher's nose?" Coach asks us, forcing Pete to move out of the way. "Come on, boy, we have to get you to the training room. Guess you can finally meet the team doctor."

Coach helps me off the field with the aid of Pete, who is clinging to my side desperately the whole time. "To what do I owe the pleasure, Benjamin?" A man with dark hair down to his shoulders lays a newspaper on his desk before walking out from behind it.

"Patrick got hit in the face with a baseball, and I'm pretty sure it broke his nose." Coach says, and the man gestures for Coach and Pete to lay me down on the athletic table. He tilts my head back to stop the bleeding.

After looking at my nose as doing some painful touching, he finally speaks. "It seems like it's broken right here." He taps on the part that hurts the most, and I groan in protest. "Yep, there it is. The rational thing to do would be to go to a doctor, but since you're crazy as hell, I know you aren't going to do that. Sorry, Patrick."

"Sorry for what?" I ask, and then he snaps my nose back into place, and I scream probably louder than I ever have before blacking out from the pain.

--

"What the..? Where am I? I ask, trying to sit up, but the immense pain in my head makes me regret my decision immediately, and I lie back down.

"Still in the training room, my g. We tried to move you, but everytime we did, you woke up and started screaming. So we just let you lay there and sleep while we practiced." Andy says nonchalantly as he scrolls through his phone. "On the bright side, you got out of practice."

"Shut the fuck up, oh my god." I say as I begin to laugh at Andy's joke. "You're terrible. I feel like you threw that ball at my head on purpose."

"Jesus, I'm not that mean." Andy says, putting his phone away. "But now that you're up, we can get you back to your dorm and let you sleep off this pain until Wednesday, when Coach hopes you'll be good to play by."

"He thinks I can play with a broken nose?" I ask disbelievingly, crossing my arms. Andy nods.

"It's more of a hope. As in if you can't play, we have no hope of winning. That sort of thing. And then it's my ass because I hurt you." Andy shrugs, grabbing my arm to help me sit up. "Therefore I'm going everything I can to help your clumsy ass get better."

"What are they gonna do, tape my nose?" I ask, laughing, but I quickly stop when Andy smiles at me menacingly.

About five seconds later, I'm laying back down, and Andy's taping my nose. "Oh fuck, be careful, you jagoff." I say, and Andy just laughs at my choice of words.

"You know you're from Chicago when.." And he trails off, finally letting me up as he finishes taping.

"Ha ha, you're hilarious." I squint to keep myself from being dizzy as I stand, holding onto Andy for support. "I don't know if I can make it back to my dorm like this." I admit, and Andy smiles again.

"Good. Watch." He walks me over to the door leading to the field and then opens it, sticking his head out to call out the name of the one person I don't want to see. "Wentz!"

And Pete comes running, smiling when he sees me standing up. I give a weak smile in return, clinging to him when he comes close enough.

"Woah, woah, what's up?" Pete catches me and holds on easily, not letting me go.

"I need you to help me get pretty boy here back to his room." Andy explains, and Pete just nods, letting me lean most of my weight on him.

Great, now Pete's gonna be there to interrogate me all night about Nick. Just great.

bay updates part 2

thx for sticking w me i'm glad ur all still here