10

before you think nick is a complete dick, read everything he has to say.

also this chapter is kind of sad tbh, or at least I think so. half of you will probably be jumping for joy by the time you read all of this.

CH. 10 -- PATRICK

"I just want a chance. One chance. I could give you the world, you know that?" I say, and Nick stops where he is, currently walking away from me. He turns around slowly, his eyes shiny.

"I know you can. But I can't put you through this." Nick gestures to nothing in particular. "You don't know what's going on up here." He taps his forehead, turning back around to walk away. I grab his arm and press him into the wall.

"Then tell me." I try, but he shakes his head. "Nick, please. Let me in."

"I can't let you in. Once you're in, you can't get out. And I'm not fucking your life up, too." He looks away, not meeting my eyes. "Let me go, Patrick."

"Not until you give me a legitimate reason as to why you can't take a chance on me." I say, and he finally locks eyes with me, his blue eyes staring deeply back into my own.

"I'm engaged." He says quickly, and I gasp, letting go of him immediately. "You know my deep, dark secret, okay? You happy?"

"How do you expect me to be happy? You fucking kissed me, and now you're telling me you're engaged? That's fucked up." I say, tears threatening to fall. Nick sighs and grabs my wrist, pulling me into his room. His roommate is gone, thank god.

We sit on the bed, a nice distance between us. "I've been engaged since I was sixteen. My girlfriend - fiancée - has been in love with me since I moved next door when I was ten and she was eight." He says, and I cross my arms. Engaged at sixteen? Bullshit. "Long story short, I got in with a bad group of kids and fucked my chances of getting a scholarship. My parents are middle class, I guess. They never saved money for me for college because I was good at baseball and a science prodigy. Her dad is really rich. I'm sure you see where this is going. Do I need to explain any more?"

"Nick.." I trail off, and he shakes his head, standing up.

"I need you to know something, and then you can, like, slap or punch me and leave. I don't regret kissing you, and I never will. Whatever guy is lucky enough to have you better not let you go. You're one of a kind, alright? Don't let some dickhead try to treat you like you aren't. I will personally kick your ass if I find out you're getting mistreated." Nick says, and his lip begins to quiver after he finishes. "God, you're beautiful." He rests his forehead on mine and takes a deep breath. "I think you should leave. And I think it's best for us both if I stop pretending to suck at biology and you stop tutoring me." Before I can open my mouth, Nick kisses my forehead and pulls away. "Goodbye, Patrick."

Nick gently pushes me towards the door until I'm standing in front off is room again. He gives me a sad smile before closing the door. The numbers seem to mock me as I stare at his door.

--

"You ready to play today, Stump baby? I'm feeling nice and energised!" Pete almost shouts when we're on the elevator the next day.

"Yeah, I guess so." I say, looking at my feet. Pete leans over and looks me up and down.

"I'm gonna kill Nick." He growls, and I grab his wrist before he can push our floor number again.

"It's not his fault. It's mine." I say, and Pete eyes me suspiciously before shaking his head.

"I call fucking bullshit. Nick told you he didn't want you, didn't he? Fucking liar." Pete presses the button to floor number seven aggressively until I grab his wrist and hit the emergency stop button.

"Listen to me. I know you're trying to treat me like some fucking child because you knew me when we were younger, but I need you to fucking stop. You're not the boss of me, and you're not my goddamn caretaker. If I tell you shit was my fault, it was my fault. Understand?" I say, and Pete just nods, eyes wide as he takes two steps away from me and his back hits a side of the elevator. I sigh then, knowing Pete only really cares. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't be taking this out on you. It's a long story, but Nick was right. We can't be together. Ever. So I need to stop playing pretend and move on."

"How did you take his mysterious reasons? Piss you off? Hurt you? Did you need someone to talk to, and I wasn't there? Is that why you're taking it out on me?" Pete asks cautiously, and I just sigh.

"All of the above, honestly. But it was rude of me to go off on you like that without you even knowing what had happened." I admit, and Pete just pulls me into a tight hug, not letting go of me for a while.

"I'm here for you. Say the word, and you can rant to me whenever." Pete says, smiling at me, and I just nod, pressing the button to start the elevator again.

"So by here for me, you mean you'll totally pay for my Starbuck's drink, right?" I ask, smirking, and Pete rolls his eyes and throws his arm around me.

say goodbye to the nicktrick relationship/friendship.

now it's time to gradually make the transition to peterick.

opinions on this chapter?

did anyone see what was coming with the whole nick situation?

is anyone confused about the nick thing w/ his fiancée and her father and all that bs?