Part 38

Sang

I walk through the throng of students and make my way to the courtyard. Kota said that's where I should wait until the bell rings. I pretend to walk with purpose but have no idea where exactly I'm going to go once there. No one bothers me though as I look around. I see the typical groups of teenagers laughing and talking. Some are horsing around. I spot a bench that is empty but for a boy reading a book on one end.

I decide to make that my destination.

I sit on the opposite end and he looks up at me.

I give him a small smile, "Hi."

He looks surprised that I spoke to him. He blushes and softly says "Hi" in return, then continues with his reading. I take out one of my books and pretend to read too. I glance around me, trying to find any of the boys.

Across the courtyard I see Silas, Victor, and Gabe. Kota and Nathan are walking up to them. They're talking, but I notice that Silas has himself positioned facing me, watching. I want to wave but I'm not supposed to be associated with them right now, so I don't. They all look handsome in their uniforms, and very much stand out. Different boys and girls look and point at them.

They're not undercover now.

The bell rings for homeroom and I put my book away and get up. I look at the boy again and say "bye." He smiles and says "bye" back.

The hallways are crowded as usual. I look, but can't see any of the boys anymore. Every step I make gets heavier. Will Greg be waiting for me? Are Luke and North already there?

I walk in homeroom and see that Luke and North are already there. There's no sign of Greg yet. Neither of them look at me when I enter. I try to keep my eyes off them but it's hard. They're just as gorgeous as the others in their uniforms. I take a seat in row over and a couple desks back.

I watch the clock. Maybe Greg won't be in today. My hopes are dashed when he slips in last minute. His eyes sweep the room and land on me. An evil leering grin morphs on his face. Oh God. This isn't good. He looks over at North and Luke and his grin gets bigger realizing I'm not sitting with them. He slides in the empty seat in front of me. I see North turn around and glare at him. He's just waiting for Greg to do something.

Greg leans way back and puts his hands behind his head. He's so far back he's hovering over the front of my desk. I automatically push as far back in my chair as I can.

The guy next to me leans over toward to Greg. "You're back just in time for Friday Fall."

Greg spins sideways in his seat and looks back at him. "You know I wouldn't miss it." He glances at me and gives me a wink. I look down at my hands but listen to their conversation.

"Has anyone been picked yet?" the guy asks.

"Not yet." Greg tells him.

"When will it be?"

"Just wait for the signal."

"This is gonna be sweet."

"You know it." Greg laughs.

The teacher starts roll call and they face forward again. What's Friday Fall? If Greg's involved, it can't be good.

As soon as the bell rings I bolt from my seat, wanting to distance myself from him. North and Luke remain in their seats. As I pass by, they each discreetly hold out folded notes to me. I smile and quickly take them. North rubs his thumb over mine when I take his. Just that little touch means so much.

He's never touched me on purpose before...

I get to English early, not wasting time in the halls and sit in a different seat again. I open the notes.

Luke: I wish I could sit with you.

He added a cute frowny face at the end. It made me smile.

I read North's, curious as what he would write.

North: Don't worry. I'll protect you.

My heart soars from the words. I feel like I know him the least. Actually, that would be Mr. Blackbourne, but North is a close second.

Should I write something back to them? I decide to and I'm about to write on Luke's note when I think better of it. These are notes I want to keep. I carefully fold them back up and put them safely in the pocket inside my bag. I get two new, small pieces of paper and write my replies.

To Luke I write: I wish I could sit with you too. I put a smiley face at the end.

What should I write to North? I come up with something and grin.

To North I write: I'll protect you too.

I fold them up to give when I see them.

Luke comes in and I hold out my note to him. A goofy smile lights his face and he snatches it on his way by. I glance over at him as he reads it. He looks at me and gives me a wink, putting my note in his pocket.

Kota and Gabe follow in soon after and Gabe sits in my old seat.

During English we work on our essays. Gabe gets up to sharpen his pencil and takes the long route past my desk. He drops a note on it. I look around to make sure no one saw and open it.

Gabe: I'm so bored, let's run away together and go shopping......but we'll have to get Victor.

A giggle wants to bubble up and I suppress it, discreetly covering my mouth.

He walks back to his desk, smiling.

When class is over, I hustle to the door. Kota quickly strides past me and puts a note of his own in my hand, then continues on. My fingers clench protectively around the folded paper.

In geometry, I'm the first one there I open Kota's note.

Kota: I like you.

I sigh happily. They're so sweet, making sure to give me attention although they can't talk to me. I put his note with the others in my bag.

I think I'm going to keep these forever.

North and Nathan walk in at the same time. I hold out my note to North and he takes it, looking stone faced. I'm sitting in a seat where I can watch them easily. North sits in his usual spot and reads what I wrote. From the side, I can see a small smile. He carefully puts the paper in his pocket.

During class I peek at the boys from time to time. Nathan almost always catches me and grins. After class he give me a note of his own. I beam. I read it on the way to violin class.

Nathan: You're coming to my house tomorrow. You'll have fun!

I'm excited to spend time with them this weekend, but I don't know what to do about the swimming part. Will they think I'm ridiculous for not knowing how to swim? My parents never took me to a pool or lake or anything. Can I pretend to know how? I doubt it, but I can't think about that now. I have to tell Mr. Blackbourne I don't know when I'll get a violin. Maybe I can use some of the cash my dad left for me and get one? I'll have to figure out a way to get to the mall, and the grocery store too. I'm going to need pads soon....

I huff, there's so much I need to sort out.

Mr. Blackbourne is waiting for me when I enter the music room.

"Miss Sorenson."

"Hello Mr. Blackbourne."

"How have things been going this morning?" he asks.

"They've been quiet. Greg didn't try anything in homeroom."

He nods his head, seeming satisfied. He watches me for a moment then speaks. "Dr. Green and I are aware of what happened with your father. I want you to know that you can feel free to approach us if you ever need help with anything."

My throat starts to burn with emotion. I swallow, "Thank you."

"You won't be needing to ask your father about a violin now either." He turns to the table behind him and I see another violin case next to his. "One has been obtained for you." He gestures to the second case.

I press my hand to my heart and walk over. Mr. Blackbourne opens the case and inside is a beautiful, new, and I know, expensive violin.

"Victor shouldn't have," I whisper, trailing my fingers along the strings.

"He didn't." Mr. Blackbourne states.

I quickly look up at him. "What? Then who...."

Realization dawns as he holds my gaze with his intense eyes.

"You?" I breath.

A fraction of smile appears for a moment. "Yes. I think it would be best for my pupil to have her own violin."

I can't believe he bought it. I don't dare to object though. I look at the violin again. "Thank you."

My eyes water, but I blink back the tears. I can tell he's not an emotional person and I don't want to start blubbering around him.

"You're welcome."

The time with Mr. Blackbourne is spent with me getting used to my violin. My beautiful violin....

After I go to history class. I get a few more notes there but they're not from North or Victor so I ignore them. Victor and I share glances all class. I do hear some whispering about Friday Fall but I still don't know what it is.

Have the boys heard about it?

At lunch I walk through the cafeteria trying to figure out what to do. I see the rest of the boys in the courtyard and head out there. I know North and Victor are trailing behind me. I look around for a new friendly face to sit with but settle on an empty bench again. I take out a granola bar and nibble on it while reading my English assignment.

"Hey pretty lady."

I look up and see the red headed boy who passed out the other day from the flu. Mike, I think his name was. I look over at the boys and see them watching.

"Hi. Are you feeling better?" I ask. I'm nervous to talk to him but I don't get any bad vibes from him like I did with Greg.

His smile gets bigger. "Yep. So what's your name?"

"Sang." I tell him.

"I'm Mike," he informs me.

The boy next to him introduces himself too. "I'm Jer."

I recognize him as one of the boys who helped Mike to the Nurse's office.

"Hi," I say shyly.

A group of guys walk by. "Hey Mike! Coach wants to see us. Get moving."

Mike shifts and I can see who's giving the order. He has soft brown hair, broad shoulders and a handsome face. He sees me too and stops, then strides over. "Who is this?"

Mike purses his lips. "Sang."

He looks me over in a way that makes me feel all hot. "I'm Rocky." His smile shows bright white teeth. "Are you a cheerleader?"

"Um, no."

"You should be, my girl is always a cheerleader."

I don't know how to respond so I just dumbly stare at him.

Mike rolls his eyes. "You said coach is waiting?"

Rocky thankfully stops staring back at me. "Yeah, let's go." He gives me one last once over, "See you around Sang."

I give a small wave of goodbye to the group and look back over at the boys.

They don't look happy.