Part 29

Sang

Gabe carries me all the way to Kota's car. Victor holds the back door open and Gabe angles us in together, sitting me sideways on his lap. Victor gets in the passenger seat up front and Kota starts his car.

"Gabe, I don't have to be in your lap," I whisper.

"Like I give a s***." he grumbles. "I'm not letting you go." He holds me closer against him nuzzling my hair with his nose. I feel weird about this but also love the attention and soak it in. Kota and Victor don't seem to think anything of it.

"What about your car Victor?" I ask. I notice his is next to Kota's in the parking lot as we drive out.

"We have to come back later, I'll get it then." He turns to look at me. His eyes hypnotize, making me feel warm inside. "How are you, besides the obvious?"

I swallow, "I'm okay."

I'm completely exhausted, my mind and body finally relaxing.

Victor's eyes narrow at me. "Just try to relax for now."

I nod and he turns back.

I see Kota watch me in the rear view mirror. I give him a small smile. His eyes crinkle at the corners from what must be one in return.

"You heard Victor, Trouble." Gabe gently guides the side of my head to his collarbone. "Rest."

I don't refuse and drift off.

Gabe

Her breathing slows to a gentle rhythm. She's sleeping. Stupid, beautiful, wonderful girl. I can't believe she did that for me. I rub my jaw against the top of her head, her hair's so silky. I reach around and remove the clip holding it up. It cascades around her face and over her shoulders.

I love it like that.

Kota

I pull into Sang's driveway and park, then turn in my seat.

"Sang, we're home."

She inhales deeply, but doesn't wake.

Gabe grins. "I guess I'll have to carry her in."

Victor smiles, watching her. "I'll look for the key in her bag." He rummages in it and pulls out the house key. "Got it."

He jumps out and unlocks the door to her house while I open the car door for Gabe. He carries her in and I follow.

"Her room is up here." I head up the stairs.

"Oy, how do you know that?" Gabe demands behind me.

I keep going, but answer. "She was unable to sleep last night being all alone so I stayed over."

I turn and look them in the eyes. "Nothing happened beyond that."

They nod but I can tell they will pester me with questions later.

We all enter Sang's room and Gabe gently lays her on her bed. She stretches like a kitten, her skirt sliding high up her pretty thighs, then she relaxes, completely out.

Gabe removes her sandals and Victor takes one of the thin blankets I folded this morning, tenderly covering her bare legs and pulling it up to her shoulders. Her baby pink lips part with a sigh. She's so beautiful even with her bruised cheek and split lip.

We just stand there, watching her. No one wants to be the first to move.

"She's one of us now." I say.

"You better f****** believe it." Gabe whispers.

"She's like a sleeping princess...."

Gabe and I look at Victor. He glances at us, his cheeks reddening. He gazes back at Sang, clearing his throat. "She's one of us."

Victor speaks after a moment. "What about the others, do you think they'll agree?"

Gabe chuckles, "Are you kidding me?"

Victor grins. "Yeah.....I guess I am."

I sigh, "We better get going on our assignment. We have to plan things out then it will be a long night."

"Someone should check on her later," Victor suggests.

I nod in agreement, "The others will be working down the road on the restaurant. I'll send them a text later tonight."

We each take one last look at Sang then reluctantly leave.

Luke, Silas, and North

"Sweet Jesus I'm hot." Luke complains. They've been doing demo since school was out two hours ago.

"We're all hot." North grumbles.

Silas goes to the cooler they brought and opens it. "All the water is gone."

"S***." North drops the sledgehammer on the floor. "Let's go see if Nathan has some."

"He's probably sleeping." Silas dries his bare chest with the shirt he shed long ago.

Luke smiles, "We could see if Sang has some water bottles to spare. I'm sure she's home. Kota said he was giving her a ride after school."

Silas strides out the door, a man on a mission, "What are we waiting for?"

Luke follows.

"Don't you think you should put your shirts on?" North yells.

They look at him and grin. "No."

North studies the black tank in his hand he was about to put on.

He tosses it on a chair and marches after them.