Part 19

Sang

Gabe escorts me to to the gym since he has it next too. Nathan told me earlier he would also be there. I'm happy to have gym with them but glad this is the last class. I'm starting to feel drained.

Since it was the first day, all of the students that had gym for last period gathered in the large gymnasium. The bleachers were closed and we were told to sit on the floor, girls on one side, boys on the other. I awkwardly sit in my skirt on the outside of the group of girls.

I notice Gabe move so he's closer to me, on the outside of the boy's group. He gives me a wink. I look for Nathan but don't see him. "Where's Nathan?" I mouth.

He shrugs and covertly takes out his phone. Once he's done with it he puts it away and mouths, "He had to do something."

What did he have to do that would make him miss part of the first day of school? I start to worry and hope everything's okay.

The gym instructors inform us about where to pay for our gym uniforms and pass out papers to be given to our parents. Great. I won't see my dad for a few days.

The girls coach, Coach French, barks out that we will be required to pass the physical exam which would be done soon to get it out of the way once we have our uniforms. It includes running a mile.

I hate running.

Once the instructors were done, we were allowed to talk together until the end of class.

The gym doors open and Principal Hendricks walks in accompanied by another man. He has glasses, had brown hair and a bristled mustache.

They scan the room then walk right up to us. "Excuse me, we'd hate to interrupt," Hendricks looks at Gabe, "You're one of Mr. Blackbourne's kids? Mr. Coleman, correct?"

Gabe stands up and I do too, feeling awkward sitting with them standing over me. What does he mean, 'one of Mr. Blackbourne's kids'?

Gabe nods, "Yes sir, how can I help you?"

"Mr. Morgan didn't show up for his last class. Would you know why?"

Gabe glances at me then shakes his head. "No I don't. Maybe he got sick?"

The other man watched me most of the conversation. It was uncomfortable. He looks around at the other students. "Isn't there another one of you in this class? A Mr. Griffin?"

"He's not here." Gabe answers.

Principal Hendricks raises an eyebrow, "Is he sick too?"

"I'm sure Mr. Blackbourne would know. We're required to report to him."

What?

Principal Hendricks turns serious, " I understand that things may be done differently at your Academy, but in the future," he gestures to the man standing next to him, "Vice Principal McCoy or myself are to be reported to if there are any more incidences."

He looks at me, "And what your name Miss?"

"Sang Sorenson," I answered nervously.

Mr. McCoy obviously recognized my name by the way he perked up. Of course....Mr. Blackbourne was going to talk to him about what happened earlier.

"So you're Sang Sorenson." He eyed me.

"What is it Mr. McCoy?" Principal Hendricks asks.

"There was an incident Mr. Blackbourne came to me about earlier involving her." He turned from me and addresses the Principal, "It's been sorted out."

Sorted out?

"Are you from the Academy too?" the Principal looks at me surprised.

"No, she isn't." Gabe answers.

He nods but looks at me curiously. They then turn and head through the gym doors.

"What was that about Gabe?"

"Nothing." He gives me a grin, but I can tell he's worried. "Those guys are just weird."

He obviously isn't going to tell me. I'm not offended though, he hardly knows me.

Gabe strolls beside me as he walks me to my bus.

We picked up our paintings in the art room on the way, now that they've dried, and he made me sign mine. The art teacher praised him for his technique. She gave me a smile of pity.

"Kota would have given you a ride home, but we all have to go do something." he says.

"Oh. That's okay. I wasn't expecting him to give me one." It would have been exciting for me though, to ride in a car with someone other than my parents.

We stop when we reach the bus. He reaches out and takes my painting from me.

I giggle, "I don't know why you would want this."

His cheeks tint and he grins, "I have my reasons."

"Okay." I'm afraid to ask this but go ahead, "Would you be interested in a swap?" I nod to his painting in his other hand.

His grin gets bigger as he hands it to me. "I think it's an even trade."

He starts to walk away, going backwards, "I'll see you tomorrow Sang."

"See you in the morning." I confirm.

He spins around and takes off but yells over his shoulder, "You still owe me a shopping trip!"

I smile as I get on the bus. What does that mean?

The bus was warm and got warmer as it filled up with students. There were so many more than this morning. Two younger girls squeeze in the seat with me, pressing me against the window. They talked amongst themselves about boys.

I think about the boys I met today.

I still couldn't believe they befriended me like that. I hoped it wouldn't change. I liked them so much and wanted to know them better.

They were so different from each other but such good friends too.

How did they end up knowing each other?

What is the Academy?

Why do they report to Mr. Blackbourne?

Is he from the Academy too?

Is Dr. Green?

What are they doing at this school?

Why did the Principal ask about uniforms?

I have so many questions.

Another one pops in my head.

What did Mr. McCoy mean when he said the 'incident' was 'sorted out?'

*Family Meeting*

"That's f****** bull s***!" North yells.

The team is gathered at Victor's house around the large table, the room is in chaos with shouts from the boys.

Mr. Blackbourne takes a deep breath. "Quiet!" he commands.

They all obey but look ready to burst at any moment.

"I agree Mr. Taylor, but that is the outcome."

Mr. Blackbourne had told them about his meeting with Mr. McCoy regarding what Greg did to Sang. Greg was brought in for questioning and denied all of it. Since there were no witnesses to the assault, it would be her word against his.

Greg did mouth off to the Vice Principal during questioning which earned him two days suspension. He would be back in school Friday morning.

He looked at North and Luke, "Just keep him away from her during home room."

He addresses the others too, "Continue to escort her to her classes as well."

"What about her Study Hall?" Victor had a bruise and gash on his cheek that Dr. Green had attended to.

"One of us needs....to be with her or...change her class." Nathan's voice sounds gravelly and comes through the speakerphone. He had been ordered to go home and recuperate after Dr. Green treated him.

"I'll have her come to our office tomorrow during that period to inform her about what happened and see what she would like to do with her study hall." Mr. Blackbourne assures him.

He folds his hands on the table and leans forward. "I called her father to tell him what happened. He asked if she was alright. I said she was physically. He said 'okay' and hung up.....He didn't seem to even care." He thinks for a moment, "What do you know about her, her home life?"

"Only child."

"Her step mom died a month ago."

"From Illinois."

"Moved across my street two weeks ago."

"Home schooled since she was twelve."

"Her dad didn't come home last night."

"Parents didn't allow her to socialize."

"Never had a friend before."

"She's never been f***** shopping."

Mr. Blackbourne takes this in. "You may continue this friendship with her, but you're not to allow it to cause you to lose focus on our assignment."

They nod in agreement.

"Now, about uniforms...."

Sang

The bus ride home took forty minutes.

I immediately change into shorts and a tank then grab an apple to eat. That reminds me of Gabe's painting, so I clear a shelf in my room and lean it against the wall. It's the only art I own and I loved it. I sit on my bed, eating my apple while finishing my poem and do my geometry homework.

Once I finish, I go out and got my bike, deciding to go for a ride and see which house is the one Nathan described as his.

Maybe I can even say "Hi" if he's home.