Part 27

Sang

Victor carries me through the empty hallways with Kota and Gabe on either side of him. I could feel Gabe's hand on my shoulder and Kota kept looking at me.

They march down the hallway to Dr. Greens office and Kota flings the door open. Victor sets me on Dr. Green's desk right in front of him. My skirt hikes up so I reach to pull it down but my blouse drifts open so I abandon the endeavor, choosing to cover my breasts rather than my thighs.

Dr. Green and Mr. Blackbourne shoot out of their chairs. "What happened?" They demand in unison.

Gabe speaks up as Dr. Green shines a light in my eyes for a second time today. "Your usual homophobic bullies. They assumed I'm gay and waited until the gym was empty. Sang saw them hit me and decided to come to my defense. It was a beautiful sight to see her filled with righteous anger, but I'm f****** mad at her for getting involved!" He shoves a tissue to his bleeding nose.

I feel like I need to defend myself. "They were punching you! Should I have left you?"

"Yes! You should listen when I tell you to f****** run away! I lost my mind when the a**hole hit you! Look at you! You're in trouble Sang. S***, you are trouble! That's what I'm calling you from now on. Trouble."

Why is he scolding me for wanting to help? "You don't have to be mean about it." I say softly. "I figured you would do the same."

"Aww s***. Kota, explain it to her. I don't want to make her feel bad." Gabe whines.

Kota lifts my chin with his finger to look at him. "We care about you Sang and don't want you to get hurt, that's all. Your safety is more important to us than ours."

I look at him with wonder. They care about my safety more than their own? No one's ever felt that way about me before. Not even my own father.

I swallow thickly, "I understand."

"I want a full report about what happened," Mr. Blackbourne orders. "We need more cameras and wiring in this school too." He looks at Kota and Victor. "Once Miss Sorenson is safely at home, you'll need to make arrangements to get it done tonight. We can't afford to wait."

Kota and Victor nod.

Dr. Green gains my attention. "What kind of injuries do you have Sang? Besides your split lip and bruised cheek."

"Now I'll have to put makeup on her too." Gabe grumbles.

I smile at Gabe then look at Dr. Green. There's no way I'm pointing out my other injuries. "That's about it. I'm fine."

"Liar." Victor's face is stern and he crosses his arms."I saw the marks on your chest and I know you could barely move because something hurts."

My face is on fire. They know I lied.

"Miss Sorenson." It's just my name, but Mr. Blackbourne commands with it for me to tell them.

"My left hip. I fell on it when he shoved me down."

"And are you injured on your chest?" Dr. Green asks kindly.

"He grabbed me when he pulled my blouse and gouged my skin." I want to die.

He nods. "Gentlemen, please excuse us for a few minutes."

Kota, Victor and Gabe exit the room, closing the door behind them. Mr. Blackbourne stays, he doesn't look happy.

"Since the school nurse is gone Sang, I'll have to be the one to look at your hip and scratches. Mr. Blackbourne will stay to make sure all is proper, and be a witness to my report. And to make sure you don't take advantage of me of course."

I give a slight nod. I've never even had a doctor examine me before, for anything. I'm incredibly nervous even with Dr. Green's joking.

Mr. Blackbourne retrieves a medical kit from Dr. Green's desk. Dr. Green takes out a gauze pad and has me hold it to my lip. I fumble with my blouse.

"Sang," he says gently, I'm going to just look at the scratches first, okay?" He takes my hand with the death grip on the material and pulls it away slowly. I let go and my blouse butterflies open, exposing my white bra and what it doesn't cover." I'm shaking. No one's seen this much of me before. There are two bloody scratches that start where by breast begins to swell and continue down to the cup of my bra. My bra's not padded and the cool air causes a reaction that can be seen. I'm mortified.

Dr. Green continues in a professional manner. "Looks like some deep scratches. I'm just going to clean these with a damp gauze pad." He takes an unopened bottled water and pours a little on the pad. He then gently wipes at the scrapes removing the blood there is.

The action feels so intimate. My body is on fire. All pain forgotten. I peek at Mr. Blackbourne. His expression is blank and his jaw clenched. His steel eyes capture mine. I see a flicker of tenderness in them, but it's so brief I must have imagined it. He looks from my eyes to my exposed flesh and walks to his desk opening a drawer. He pulls out a crisp white dress shirt. "Once Dr. Green is finished, you can wear this."

The shirt reminds me of something. "I forgot your handkerchief." I say dumbly. The corner of his lip raises a fraction. Was that a smile?

"That's okay. You can wear this shirt when you leave." He hands it to me.

"Thank you."

"Alright my dear. Your scratches should heal nicely." Dr. Green says. "Go ahead and switch shirts so you can button up."

They both turn their backs, giving me privacy to change.

I button it up to the neck and roll up the sleeves, the shirt billows around me. "I'm done."

They turn and Dr. Green smiles. "Very good then. Now let's take a look at your hip." He assists me off the desk. "Your left hip is it?"

I nod.

"Can you twist your skirt around you so the zipper is on the left side?"

I do as he says.

"I'm going to pull the zipper down and examine the extent of the injury." He gathers up the bottom of the shirt. "Would you please hold this up?"

Again I do as he says and stare at the wall.

I feel my skirt loosen as he unzips it and kneels on the floor. He pulls the skirt down past my hip and the band of my underwear with it. My knees are shaking. His warm smooth fingers gently probe as he asks me various questions. Once he's finished, he pulls my underwear back up on my hip gently and zips my skirt. I release the shirt and twist my skirt right.

"There doesn't appear to be any damage to the bone but the tissue has swelling and bruising that will get worse over the next twelve hours. Apply ice to it and your cheek when you get home. Keep the scratches clean and rest your body."

He gets two Tylenol and hands me the water bottle. "Take these."

I swallow the pills. "Thank you."

"Your welcome Sang, but we do have to stop meeting this way. No more fainting or fighting," he smiles.

My skin is on fire from the whole exam but I think I somehow blush even more.

"No more fainting or fighting." I repeat.