Part 6

Sang

Once I get home I clean and tidy the house.

During my housekeeping I hear the motorcycle again and look out the window, watching as the guy across the street is dropped off by the BMW and goes in his house.

I just stand there, staring at his home. Yep, he is nice to look at. Really nice. Although my glance at them was brief in the parking lot earlier, I was able to observe enough to know they are the most handsome boys I have ever seen. Truly.

My heart skips just thinking about it. I noticed they weren't as old as I had thought too. I wonder what grade they're in? Probably juniors, maybe even seniors. It doesn't matter, it's not like they would give me the time of day anyways. I'm sure they have lots of friends and girlfriends. Gorgeous boys like that aren't interested in being friends with boring and plain girls like me.

Turning from the window, I decide on what to do now. Without my dad coming home, my desire to cook dinner vanishes. All the ingredients for taco soup are waiting to be put together though, so I head for the kitchen and prepare to cook for one.

Kota

While putting notebooks and supplies in my bag for tomorrow, I think about our assignment, hoping it doesn't take the entire school year to find out what we need. I have the same complaints my team has but keep them to myself. The luxury of voicing mine isn't one I have, being the leader. An example needs to be set and so I do it, keeping my negative thoughts to myself.

After brushing my teeth and changing, I lie down. My mind wandering to the girl across the street. It's late at night now and I noticed her dad hasn't returned. I wonder why they moved here, where she came from, what her name is, if she's a sophomore like us. She's incredibly beautiful and so shy. It's obvious she lacks confidence from the way she acts. I smile. It's endearing and refreshing to see someone so unaware of how her beauty can affect others, make their breath catch just to look at her.

The guys at Ashley Waters are going to be all over her....

For some reason, that thought makes me frown.

Sang

I'm lying in my bed, listening to every creaking and shuffling sound I hear. Even though I know it's just the breeze outside, a branch scraping against the house, a squirrel running across the roof, or the curtains rubbing against the window from the fan, it doesn't matter. My imagination takes over and I'm terrified. Alone and terrified.

The only phone is in the kitchen. My dad said I don't need a cell phone, that it's not necessary since I'll either be at school or home. If someone broke in though, I'd be hard pressed to make it to the kitchen to call for help. Of course now is when that thought dawns.

There isn't anything to my advantage. I haven't a smidgen of self defense skills plus I'm small and can easily be overpowered. I feel like a neon sign is lit on the house announcing that an almost sixteen year old girl is inside, defenseless and alone.

A branch scrapes against the house once more.

Squeezing my eyes shut tight, I sink deeper under the covers.

If I can survive my imagination tonight, my first day of school tomorrow should be a piece of cake.