Part 4

Sang

I read for a while in my room, finishing a book I've read several times before. Why couldn't real life be like fiction?

The ringing of the phone snaps me out of my melancholy. I run down the stairs knowing there's only one person in the world who'd be on the other end.

"Hi dad."

"Hi Sang. I just wanted to let you know that I'll be taking off for a business trip for a few days."

"Oh, okay, when do you leave?"

"Today, from work. I have clothes here at the office so I'll be taking off shortly.....You'll be fine by yourself overnight for a few days, right? Your old enough."

"Um, yeah." Inside I was shaking, I've never been alone overnight before.

"Great! I'll see you when I get back." He hung up.

I slowly put the phone back in it's cradle. Trepidation takes over. I know it's silly, I'm almost sixteen and afraid to be alone in the house at night. Even though I've always been lonely for friends, my dad or step mom were always nearby. There was a strange comfort in knowing that even though she hated me and my dad didn't care about me, they were around. Now I was truly alone in every way.

I thought about the brief exchange with my dad. Did he forget I start school tomorrow? I didn't expect to have breakfast with him in the morning or anything but maybe a "have a good day," "it'll be fine, you'll see"?

Nothing.

I want to cry but refuse to, swallowing back the tears. Why should I cry about a relationship we never had to begin with?

I need to do something, get my mind off it. I think about my bike stored in the shed and smile. I haven't explored the neighborhood, maybe I'll ride around.

The heat hits me like a wall when I walk outside. Will I ever get used to it? Even in my shorts and tank I'm already starting to sweat. I unhook the padlock that's just for show on the shed door and open it. Musty air and dust greet me causing me to sneeze. My dad is apparently a pack rat. There are boxes piled high and junk crowded in. I see my bike against the wall behind a leaning tower of boxes. Great. I start moving things aside, making my way toward my destination. I bump into another tower of boxes knocking a case of tools onto the ground, causing a loud and obnoxious clattering.

The Boys

They've gone over their schedules, made arrangements for rides to school and are just hanging out. Nathan hears a loud clattering outside and looks out the window. He sees the back of a petite blond picking up tools from the ground in front of the shed. Automatically he notices her cute ass.

"Who's that?"

Kota gets up and looks out the window. "Our new neighbor. I tried to say 'hi' to her today but she took off into the house. I think she's shy."

The other boys are curious and get up crowding in the window. Except for North who lays on the bed with his eyes closed.

"Huh." Nathan squints at her. "I didn't know that a girl moved in too."

"She looks cute but it's hard to tell from here." Luke chimes in.

Silas grins, "Maybe I should say 'hi' to your neighbor."

Gabe barks out a laugh, "If Kota scared her to go running to her house, you'll scare her right out of the neighborhood."

Victor laughs, "He's right Silas, maybe you should stay away from her."

Silas shrugs.

"Maybe we can just keep an eye on her at school. I think she's our age and you know how tough it will be for a new girl who's so easily scared to go there." Kota looks at the others.

"The last thing we need is more on our plate." North is still lying on the bed with his eyes closed. "We don't have the time to watch over some girl too."

Luke looks at her again, she's pulled a bike out and is getting on it, "I don't mind," he smiles, "It's the neighborly thing to do. Plus it'll give me something fun to look out for."

The others agree.

"Whatever," North's clearly irritated, "count me out."