Chapter 9

That child was as energetic as a jackrabbit; She jumped, laughed, swang on the swings, slid down the slide more than a dozen times. and she did every other thing that seemed as something that would definately entertain a child her age. Shaun was actually feeling relaxed around her, even though he knew there was something wrong with her.

~~~~~~ 5 years yater ~~~~~~~~

Sunday, February 25, 2005

Dear Diary,

I remember my Mama a bit... I only knew her for a short while. Just 9 months. I feel so sad sometimes knowing she won't be there when I graduate from high school. Or when I graduate from the 6th grade. My Mama would've been so proud. She was a lot better than my other Ma... The one who stole me from the hospital. My dad tried to tell me different, he tried to say that they didn't steal me. But I think they did. Ain't no possible way they didn't not steal me. My daddy just got me this diary, he said I can write down what I feel In here. Well, I will probably use it for that too, but mostly just to tell what my day was like... And who I hate. Daddy said it Ain't good to hate, especially since we live in such a small country town in Arkansas. But imma say hate all I want. 'Cause every since my mama died, I ain't really put much thought into "love" or "like". I just really love my daddy, 'cause he raised me since I was a grape, and because I know he loves me.

Your new best friend,

Marquettisa <3

----------------------

"Marquettisa, dinners ready. You want some milk to drink with your hamburger helper? I know it's your favorite!" Shaun asked. He was really lovin' having a child, but he really missed Piper. She passed away 9 months like was estimated. Marquettisa grew healthy afterwards, despite the grief they were going through. Shaun had gotten a small farm house in Black Rock, Arkansas, one with 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. He had his own room, Marquettisa had hers, There was the playroom with all the toys, and in the smallest room was Shaun's office area. Shaun had grown to Deputy, gotten a new cop car that said "Deputy" on the side, and he took Marquettisa to and from school in his car. He didn't want any boys thinkin they could pick on her. Best yet, He had gotten so much money as a deputy, Christmas and Marquettisa's birthday were the easiest holidays.

"Coming, daddy" Marquettisa said, packing her sparkly purple diary under her bed. She took off down the stairs, her bright yellow dress flowing out from behind her. She normally wore jeans or shorts, but sometimes she wore her prettiest dresses on the prettiest days.

"Sit down and lets pray for our food." Shaun always made sure they prayed, no matter what. He knew it was good to thank the good Lord for their food. If they didn't have any food, how would they survive?

"Okay. I wanna pray!" Marquettisa said, jamming her hand into the air like she did at school when she had a question.

"Go on," Shaun said.

Marquettisa prayed the way that little 8 year old always did, short n skippy, but it was always better than nothin.

After her bath, she waddled to her bedroom playing with the ruffles on her pajama shirt. As she climbed up into bed, she waited to hear that story Shaun would always tell her before she went to bed. The story on how he met her mama.