Chapter Ten

It started raining.

The soft raindrops broke the moment. We pulled away from each other. I quickly picked up Shadow from the ground. It's been only a few seconds and yet the rain was beginning to pour hard.

Nilingon ko si Saint na may hindi ko mabasa-basang ekspresyon sa kanyang mukha. "Go, Kenna, I'll be right behind you."

Even with the blankness and coldness of his expression, his voice was warm and gentle. It was very different from his sometime playful and usually bored tone.

I did what he wanted me to do. Bitbit si Shadow ay nauna na ako sa mabilis na paglakad patungong sasakyan. I noted Saint's Range Rover that was parked behind mine before going inside my car.

Inilapag ko si Shadow sa passenger seat. Pinunasan ko ang magkabilang braso at mukha na bahagyang nabasa ng ulan.

Once I was done drying myself, I started the engine. Hindi ako agad unalis at sumilip sa side mirror. Nakita ko roon ang pagpasok ni Saint sa loob ng kanyang sasakyan at pagsara ng pinto.

It didn't take him long to start the engine. His headlights went on. I took that as a sign to go. I adjusted the gear stick and drove off.

Habang nagmamaneho ay hindi ko maiwasan ang madalas na pagsulyap sa rear view mirror. I wanted to make sure that he's just right behind me.

When I neared the driveway of my house, my grip on the steering wheel tightened. I was waiting for him to turn and drive pass by me, but his car slowed down, mirroring mine.

Nang pinatay ko ang engine ay tsaka ko lang napansin ang malakas na ulan. I was too caught up with making sure that Saint is following me that I didn't even mind the rain, when in fact, the sight of it usually alarms me.

Kapag kasi malakas ang ulan ay malaki ang posibilidad na magka-kulog. I'm terrified of thunder. Ever since my father died, my fear for thunder grew. The mere sight of pouring rain makes me shiver.

Hindi ako nakababa agad. Wala akong payong. Pupwede naman akong sumugod sa ulan dahil nasa bahay na naman ako at pwedeng-pwede mag palit ng damit. But then there's Shadow. I'm scared that he'll get sick.

Napatalon ako sa kinauupuan nang biglang may kumatok sa bintana. Dilat na dilat ang mga mata ko nang mapatingin doon, pero mas lalo iyong nanlaki nang mapagtanto na si Saint pala ang kumakatok.

I quickly unlocked the car and opened it a little, making him side step. His arms were raised, protecting himself from the rain with a black leather jacket. Even with the little make-shift of a shelter, he was already drenched.

"Give me the keys to your gate," he said. The warmth in his voice from earlier was gone now. His icy and sharp tone replaced it back.

"What? Why?"

"I'll open it for you, so, you won't get too wet," he explained in a rush. He cleared his throat and extended his hand, offering his palm. "Hurry, Kenna."

There he goes again with saying my name. Napakagat ako sa labi ko. There's seriously something wrong with me.

Nagmamadali kong kinuha ang susi na ibinigay niya sa akin kanina para inabot sa kanya.
Walang isang salita na kinuha niya iyon. Isinara niya ang gate ng sasakyan at naghalf run palapit sa gate. He took two tries before he got the right key and managed to open the gate for me.

Ayaw ko siyang magpaulan ng sobra nang dahil sa akin kaya agad kong pinaandar ang sasakyan at ipinasok iyon sa loob nang makaalis na siya sa daan.

I parked the car properly before turning off the engine. I grabbed my bag, placing it on my shoulder. I next picked up Shadow from his seat.