"Friends"// Chapter 3

Percy

"Come on," I grumble as I check my watch for what seems to be the hundredth time. Annabeth was supposed to meet me a while ago. I had given her my address and even offered her a ride. The least she could do was show up.

"So, a new friend, huh?" My mom couldn't stop gushing at the fact that someone was coming over. "And it's only your first day, Mr. Popular!"

"Mom, we talked about this. Don't say anything like that when Annabeth comes. If she's coming." I grumbled the last part under my breath.

A sudden knock at the door interrupted my thoughts and I let a sigh escape my lips. I swung the door open to find none other than Ms. Tardy Pants. Her hair was plastered to her face and her clothes were soaked. I hadn't noticed that it had started to rain outside.

Annabeth quietly mumbled as she tucked a lock of hair behind her ear, "Sorry I'm late. I don't have a car. Or an umbrella." Her sharp gray eyes looked at me and I took notice that they were the exact color of the sky at the moment. They were sharp and alerting, yet mysterious and piqued my curiosity.

My mom rushed over and gasped quietly. "Oh honey, you're soaked! Let's go get you changed into something more comfortable." Annabeth shot me a nervous glance before my mom whisked her away to her room.

***

Sitting on my bed, I stared up at the ceiling as I waited for Annabeth to recover from her downpour. My door swung open and in came the blonde wearing my dad's old college sweatshirt. Her hair was down for the first time in the eight hours I've known her.

Wow, you look great, is what I wanted to say. Instead I grunted, "Don't you know how to knock?"

"Oh, please. It's not like you'd be doing anything anyways. So, this project. What are we going to do involving colors?"

After some serious brainstorming and a lot of arguing, she groaned and flopped down on my bed. "You, Percy Jackson, are impossible beyond compared." I playfully gasped at that, pretending to be hurt. "Me? You won't agree with any of my suggestions!" "Because they stink even more than your seaweed brain!"

She threw a pillow at me but I caught it easily. "Very funny, Wise Girl."

"Thank you. Unlike you, I try."

"I do try!"

The blonde female rolled her eyes and turned onto her side to face me where I was laying next to her. "I bet your grades beg to differ." "Ouch, Annie. That would've hurt but I'll excuse your behavior because of your serious medical condition: doesn't-have-a-heart-itis ."

She scoffed and punched my shoulder. She glanced over at my bed sheets and tilted her head as she picked up a small picture. "Is this you?" She asked, biting her tongue as an attempt to suppress her laughter but it was to no avail. The picture was of a younger me sleeping on my mother's lap. We were silent for a while before she spoke up again.

"You drool in your sleep."

"That was when I was younger!"

"Actually I saw you fall asleep in Spanish. You practically created your own pool on your desk."

Letting out a loud groan, I playfully gave her another push and stared down at my nine year old picture self. On my lap was a crayon box because I had been attempting to draw my mother as a Christmas present.

My eyes suddenly widened as a light bulb came off in my head. "I got it!"

"What? A brain?"

"No! Well yes, but no. An idea for the project. We should each pick four colors and and explain what they represent that we brought into each other's lives."

Annabeth made a face and tilted her head. "I guess it could work. It's the best you've come up with in the past hour. Which reminds me, I should probably head home now."

As she started to get up, so did I. "I'll walk you." Luckily for us, the rain had stopped though the sky still painted a picture in my head of Annabeth's eyes every time I glanced out the window. We headed out and she kept her head down as she stared at the sidewalk. "You really don't have to walk me home."

"I know that. I want to, Wise Girl."

She looked like she was going to say something before she decided against it and closed her pursed lips. After more minutes of silence, minus the car honking of the busy streets, she was first to break the tension yet again. "I'll give the sweatshirt back tomorrow."

"Oh it's fine. Don't worry about it."

"Percy, your eyes popped out of your head when you saw me wearing it."

I awkwardly scratched the back of my neck. "My dad left months ago and I haven't pulled that sweatshirt out of the box since. But I don't really mind. I think it's time someone finally wears it again."

You also happen to look very good in it.

But I kept that one thought to myself.

She wrinkled her nose a bit. "Oh, that must suck. My mom left too. It was for the best. She was cold and distant and thought she knew everything." She sighed loudly before coming to a sudden halt. "I know that smell.."

She suddenly grabbed my hand and led me into a dark alley. She pressed herself up against the brick wall.

"Annabeth, what's going on?"

A sudden laugh came from above and a man landed in front of us. He had sandy blond hair and a huge scar on his face. He kept his trained eyes on the other blonde right in front of him who had a mixture of yearning and anger on her face.

"Luke," she spat.

A gun was pulled out and a bang was heard loudly. "Missed me?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Yeah, I know. I'm alive! Thank you all for being patient with me as I waited for creativity to strike. I know it'll be late when this is published but Merry Christmas/ Happy Holidays. So Luke and Annabeth reunion, that's always fun. Also, this chapter is not read through for any errors so I apologize for the mistakes and I, as always, will go back once the story is finished and fix all mistakes. Comment and tell me what you thought on the chapter.

-Alexa