08

ALYSSA

    I wake up with a start.Disoriented, my eyes squints under the harsh glare of the sun, before my eyes widens.

Holy crap, its morning!

Im late!

I look around me wondering where I am until I remember what happened last night.

MARK

He tried to violate me.

He could've hurt me yet he stopped.

I dont know what happened but im glad he stopped.

I dont think i'll be able to live if he went all the way last night.

I see a yellow note on the coffee table next to the bed and I pick it up.

'eat breakfast.' it says.

My lips curls into a smile. Thats so him. He likes to get straight to the point.

I like that kind of guy who speaks out his thoughts.

I prefer that over charming men.

Charming men are more cunning, as if they practice saying the pick-up lines in front of the bathroom mirror.

Mark  is awkward and his words are never charming. They're like bullets that can stab you.

But they're the truth. He's real and not fake like many of the guys I met at university.

Not that I like him of course. He's still a prick.

I look to find a tray of food waiting for me on the table.

I frown in confusion.

Is it to make up for what he did last night?

I slip away from the bed and grab a croissant.

I munch on the bread as I look around his neat room.

There's another maid dress hanging on the chair to change to.

His room is neatly furnished and there is a line of trophies in the glass cabinet. There's a basketball behind the glass door too.

Hm, so he plays basketball. No wonder his body is packed full of hard muscles.

Those rock hard muscles...

shaking my head, I approach the desk by the window, looking for anything that can make me understand him.

But the pens are neatly in place and the notepads are empty.

I fiddle around with the drawers, closing them shut when all I see are neat envelopes, and some jurisprudence books.

Hm, judging from all these textbooks, he must be studying to be a lawyer.

He doesn't look like a lawyer to me. He looks like a dangerous mobster who smuggles weapons.

I never thought law is his major. He's more of a criminal than a guy siding with the law.

Come to think about it, I know nothing about him at all...

i'm about to close the bottom drawer when I notice the back of a photo frame.

I pick it up and flip it to see the photo.

My heart quickens a beat when I see him smiling with his arm around a petite woman.

I never seen him look so carefree, so happy.

Ah, this must be the girl he loved so much. The one who left him.

I dont like her for some reason.

So this is the kind of girl he likes...

petite, long wavy blond hair, and big breasts. She has that sweet, innocent look that I know plenty of guys are into.

I think about how opposite I am to her.

Im not petite. Im kind of tall, and I played tennis a lot so my arms are pretty muscular.

Im a red-head which makes people thinks that im short-tempered.

I dont wear much makeup and my face is hardly innocent. I frown too much and my eyes are filled with distrust.

Wait, why am I comparing myself to her?

I study the picture again, my eyes on mark.

He looked younger in this photo but now, I dont see his smile.

The current Mark  is someone who hates the world and everyone in it.

Its all because of her.

Mark had longer hair in the photo. Now his hair is much shorter.

I like his hair now. Shorter hair brings out the Brown
in his eyes.

What am I doing?

I act like an obsessive girlfriend rummaging through his things.

Ugh, I dont understand myself at all. I hate him. He treats me like im beneath him.

But when he wrapped his arm around me protectively, my heart warmed a little.

I had never been hugged that way before.

It was like his warmth could make me whole.

And it felt safe, finding someone is taking care of me.

For the first time, I wasnt someone who had to take care of everything. I felt free, like an ordinary girl.

Putting the photo frame back to where it belongs, I close the drawer.

__________________________