03: Clara Depri

03: Clara Depri

"Hey sweetie! Had a good day?" Aunt Karla greeted from the kitchen upon seeing Clara entering the house.

"It was fine," she replied. But 'fine' never meant what people thought it did. Someone who said he or she was fine was definitely the opposite of that. That's exactly what her aunt noticed.

"What's wrong, Clar?" Her aunt wiped her hands on a damp piece of cloth after cutting some vegetables, and sauntered over to accompany her niece.

"Just a bad first day." muttered she, before sashaying towards the stairs and climbing up hastily. A quite silent slam of her bedroom door was heard and then utter silence followed immediately after. Karla shook her head at Clara's negligence on sharing her thoughts, and strolled back to the kitchen to prepare for dinner.

Karla had taken the initiative to adopt her niece after her sister-in-law had abandoned Clara. She still remembered crisp clear about the matter.

She was frolicking about the house, sweeping the hardwood floor and doing the laundry. It was pretty much a day of chores. She refused to rest until her home was decent and neat, she always had a hobby of cleaning her house. It was a pet peeve of hers.

A sudden ring of the house phone caused her to jump in alarm. Karla rushed over to the coffee table that was set in front of the couch, and picked up the device, bringing it to her ear.

"Hello?"

"Karla?" Maddison's voice rang through the phone. Maddison was Clara's neighbor, Karla would always visit Madds when she went to visit her niece and her sister-in-law, Elena.

Sometimes she would stay over for dinner, and she would help to cook. Karla would talk about someday getting a nice husband who would care for her and provide her with love. You see, Karla always wanted to marry and bear a child, but her love interests were never with her for long and she never really settled down with anybody. Maddison had a wonderful husband though, and two children. One little girl, whom was thirteen, and a sixteen year old son.

Justice was a pretty young lady, always playing with Clara. And Justin was an older brother to both girls. The three of them would always play around in the backyard, chatting and fooling around, having fun.

"Clara was out on the front yard crying, she just had an argument with her mother. Elena kicked her out of the house!" Maddison had yelled frantically,"Jameson had just taken her into the house. She's blubbering about love and mom. I heard during the argument that Elena said she didn't love her."

"I'm coming over right now. I'll be there in five." said Karla, before hanging up.

Why would Elena say that to her child? Is she out of her mind? For all Karla knew, Her niece was an amazing little girl. She was gorgeous, intelligent, and very mannerly! A wonderful young lady she is!

Karla parked in front of Maddison's house, and hastily got out of her vehicle. The door was already open, Madds was standing by the doorway gesturing for her to come in.

When Karla had entered the Maddison household, she had, in fact, come to the point that this wasn't all a lie. That it just her imagination. Her niece was on the floor - yes, she didn't move. She didn't want to go on the couch, the floor was the farthest she had gone to after she had come in to the house - in the middle of the living room sobbing. Karla rushed to her side.

"Clara, honey, are you alright?" Of course she wasn't alright! Her niece shook her head, roughly wiping at her tears. She refused to speak. She couldn't speak. This felt like a felony to her. This felt surreal. This couldn't have happened.

Karla held her niece's trembling body in her arms, she rubbed her back and whispered some soothing words, comforting her.

A few hours later, Clara was moving in with her aunt. This was her new beginning. Clara felt grateful for her aunt, and hopefully there would be no trouble between the two, hopefully they would get along well.

*******

Dedicated to @innerbeautea because she's an amazing friend and a great writer as well. You should go read her book 'Reputation'.

A/N:

I have no idea what I just wrote. Um. I just poured that out. It seems a bit confusing for me as well. I think I made some past and present tense mistakes...but I don't really know where so if you spot a few, mind telling me them?

And this chapter was mostly just for giving you a glimpse of Clara's life, and what exactly happened after her mom left her in the past. Tell me what you think of this chappy please :)

Happy reading

~Jessica