Summer Job

My alarm clock went off causing me to roll out of my bed and letting my feet hit the ground. The first day of summer and I should be sleeping in. It wasn't possible in this house. I smelt breakfast from downstairs showing my mom was already up and ready for what ever this Monday would throw at her.

I quickly showered and threw on the nearest jeans and T shirt I could find in my cluttered room and ran down stairs to my mom. She had already fixed my plate and was at the table eating.

"Good morning mom!" I said sitting in front of her at our two person table.

"How did you seep my dear?" She asked while taking a bite of bacon.

"Good. After you get off think you could help me clean a little?" I asked her while peering up from my plate. She was looking at her food and I watched her eye furrow.

"Maybe another day, hunny. I have a report due and then a long day at the office already. We won't get home till late tonight." She said putting a fork full of eggs in her mouth.

"We?" I said looking st her with wide eyes.

"Yes we. I'm not leaving you home alone on the first day of summer." She said standing up to wash her plate. I followed behind her closely.

"Mom! It's summer. I can sleep or go walking or go get a job." I listed options while she stared at me.

"Oh I have an idea. You can suck it up and go with me to work." She said walking off and grabbing her purse and keys from the small table by the door. "Let's go. " she continued as.l she walked out the door. I groaned and ran upstairs grabbing my converse and phone and ran to meet mom in the car.

"Can I sleep when I get there?" I asked and she shook her head no.

Mom had only gotten this job at the firm because they needed a new secretary. This meant me sitting in the lobby all day. I mentally groaned when I saw the clock read 7:30 and I knew mom wouldn't leave till nine tonight. I snapped from my thoughts when my moms phone range and she stuck a blue tooth piece in her ear.

"Marlow Jay speaking, How may I help you?" She spoke and listed to the person on the other end. "Oh good morning Mr. Blake. Yes, I'll be there in about five minutes" she listened once again. "Okay and I have my daughter with me. It's the first day of summer and I didn't want to leaver her home alone." I rolled my eyes and looked out the window still listing to my mom talk to her boss. "Yes. Okay. I'll see you then." She finished the conversation and clicked the button on her Bluetooth piece.

We parked in the employee parking deck and I watch my mom throw on some nude lipstick. I laughed opening my car door and mom followed my movements. We shut our doors and walked into the building only for mom to turn around and lock the car door. I looked at her and she gave a small grin. "I forgot." She said walking to the elevator and clicking the up button.

Blake's Law was one of the biggest building in our city, only being beaten by the bank and one other building I wasn't sure what it's use was. Mom clicked the 21st floor and the elevator swooshed up level after level, not stopping.

The bell dinged and the doors opened to a chestnut room with white chairs. The secretary's desk was empty and mom quickly walked to her spot. I followed behind and leaned on her counter.

"What now?" I asked while she opened up her computer and logged on.

"Go sit." She told me not once looking at me. I walked to the white chair closest to my mom which happened to be outside a door that caused me to hear the masculine voice on the other side. I leaned up ready the name that had been placed on the door in vinyl. 'Liam Blake' was there in bold black letters. Moms boss. I decided I should probably move from that seat when the door opened and I quickly turned my head away.

"Marlow! Great, you're here. I had these get picked up for your daughter today so she wouldn't get bored" he said looking around the room. "Where is she?" He asked and my mom tilted her head to me. He turned around and looked at me and let out an oh. I was instantly captivated by his icy blue eyes. " I guess you are too big for these." He said which caused my eyes flash down to his hand. There sat a princess coloring book and a pack of crayons. I smiled and reached my hand up.

"Nah I'll take it." I said pulling the book into my lap. And smiling. He let off a small smile before heading back into his office closing the door. I look at my mom and laughed softly. "Did he know how old I was?" I asked laughing which caused her to laugh.

"No, never came up." She said quietly while turning back to her work.

I opened the coloring book somewhere in the middle and opened the small crayon box. I chose the first color I got my hands on, which was green, and colored the princess crown. I moved on to her dress and shoes and the rest of the picture.

Coloring had gone on for what seemed like ages and my hand had started to hurt. I finished almost twelve pages already and it had already passed lunch time and was  four thirty on the afternoon. I pulled my phone out to see I had a text from  Koda, who had been my best friend for two years.

"Wanna hang out?" It simply read and I looked at my mom.
" @ law firm. Can't." I replied and waited for the buzz. Sure enough it came as quickly as I sent it. "Can I go with Koda somewhere?" I asked my mom and she looked at me.

"Sure. But be home before I get there." She told me with a smile and I quickly texted Koda telling her I had the okay to go.

"Good, I'm here." She texted back and I smiled to myself while standing up. I put the coloring book and crayons on my moms desk and told her bye before sprinting to the nearest elevator. I rode all the way down and walked out the front door to revile Koda in her car.

I smiled at her and hopped in. Buckling up and looked at her and smiled while speaking to her "Thanks for the save!"

-----

Hola! Hope you enjoy. This book is totally for fun so I hope you love it as much as I love writing it. It is a little over 1000 words and I plan every chapter to be 1000-3000  and I'll be updating three times a week! Okay love you!!-K

New A/N: I'm editing every chapter so something might be added in or taken out but I'm definitely fixing! Love y'all