Mariah left home a week prior to stay with Whitney. She figured she may not have another chance to get away from her husband long enough so that she could meet with Tommy, so she left Whitney’s and flew directly to New York.

“You what?” Rachel exclaimed.

Mariah shook her head. “Shhh!”

“You can't be serious. Are you crazy? You know that man will-”

Mariah nodded. “I know Rachel, I know. But I've gotta do this for Michael.”

Rachel picked up her glass, taking a sip. “You know what, you love your man.”

Mariah nodded. “I do. And I hope this will make us stronger.”

December 2nd, 1998

Michael decided to drive to Hayvenhurst to visit his father who'd recently had a stroke. He had a twin on each hip when he walked in and sat them on the floor near Jermaine's son Jafaar.

“Play with your cousin, I'll be right back.”

He walked into the living room where his father was sitting on the couch watching TV.

“Hello Joseph.” He said, sitting down.

Joseph nodded. “Son. Where my grandbabies?”

“They're in the other room.” Michael said. “So how are you?”

“I'm doing just fine.” Joseph replied. “Gonna take more than a stroke to take me outta here.”

Michael and Joseph continued on a conversation, talking about Bill, his album, and their separate Thanksgivings. Michael later went to get Nicole and Noelle so they could see their grandfather before getting them ready to leave.

“Well, this has been great. I just wanted to make sure you were okay, you know. I’ve been spending a lot of time alone just thinking about a lot of things and uh, I don’t want to lose my parents.”

Joseph nodded, contemplatively. “Well I ain’t dying no time soon.”

Michael chuckled.

And you got your mama.” Joseph continued.

“Barely.” Michael muttered. “Ever since she started sleeping with Mariah’s dad it’s just been awkward between us”

Joseph pulled back. “What?”

Shit, why did I say that?

Michael’s popped his eyes wide open. He tossed a few of the chocolates from the coffee table decor in his mouth out of nervousness.

“Huh?” Michael responded, pretending he didn’t understand why Joseph responded the way he did.

Joseph straightened in his chair, his eyes growing sinister. He got that look in his eye--the one that always terrified Michael as a child. Michael’s throat went dry as he tried to swallow down the chocolate.

“Did you say what I think you just said?” Joseph asked, his tone chilling.

Michael nearly shat himself.

“I- Wha- I didn’t- Joseph we can-”

“That’s why she been gone?” Joseph asked in a tone that suggested it was more of a statement. “I thought y’all said she was watching the kids.”

Nicole ran toward her grandpa, staring up at him lovingly.

Michael quickly reached his hand out in an attempt to stop her. Nicki no!