das

*18 days BeFoUr*

In his life, Liam had read enough books on ancient civil wars between the early wolf settlements to know exactly what had happened to Zayn. The first few wars were so destructive that almost half of the werewolf population had been wiped out. Hence, to prevent the extinction of the race, the moon goddess herself had presented the solution. It said that when the opponent was too weak to resume fighting their bodies would automatically surrender giving up on their human side completely and the battle would be over for them. Their life would be spared and they would be out of harm's way for good.

Liam could easily relate the current events with those that had happened centuries ago but the only part that didn't make add up was Zayn's weakness. If Zayn had a fatal disease Liam could've listed this off as mere instinct. As the alpha command being too much for him to handle and him surrendering in the most primal ways. But did Zayn had a fatal disease? He couldn't say.

The bruises on his body were an indication of illness. Wolves don't bruise that easily and even if they do, they heal up pretty quick and easily. If Zayn wasn't healing it meant his immune system was too weak to properly function, which was a pretty obvious diagnosis. But the question here wasn't what, but why. Why wasn't Zayn healing?

That's what Liam had asked the doctor in their first encounter, almost twenty-eight hours ago. Dr Daniel, who Liam hadn't ever seen this frazzled in his life, was sputtering out something about it all being wrong, super confusing and how he had never seen something like this in his entire career. It was the most doubtful Liam had felt about the pack's life saver. A few hours later, when he was almost contemplating on moving Zayn to a versatile hospital, Dr Daniels had come up to him and told him off his theory. He had said that there was a very high chance that Zayn's mate had died somewhere in the world and his body was somehow taking it in a form of rejection. Something had twisted in Liam's heart, making him feel as if he was going to throw his organs up.

Even though he wanted to doubt that theory, something seemed very true about it. Liam had only read stories about rejection. It was very rare for wolves to willingly reject their mate against the wolf bond. And even though he had, on more than one occasion, promised himself to reject his mate, somewhere deep within he always knew that it would never happen. However, from what he had read and heard, he could confirm Zayn's condition as a form of rejection.

The mere thought of it smashed his heart into pieces. Rejection was the worst of the authorised laws by the moon goddess and it simply meant destruction. Not only did it end up in the pairs death, but hostility and grief within their families. In their pack, there was no concept of rejection or even mutual separation. It was actually considered one of the most sacred packs for mates. To think, one of the members, the pup of the pack, Zayn would perish to the worst of the legal things was a daunting thought.

Now hours later, Liam was sitting outside the infirmary trying to absorb all that he had learnt and waiting for his beloved to wake up. The Alpha prince was in denial. He was smart enough to admit that but not strong enough to trick himself out of it. But then again all the stages were important and denial basically paved the way to acceptance.

Actually, he didn't want to accept it. Screw the stages. There was no denial, no nothing. Zayn couldn't die. He just couldn't. You'd think that Liam would at least be a little bit prepared for this since he basically saw Zayn die in his dreams but turns out, it actually made everything a whole lot worse. There was a strong determination coursing through his blood. Zayn would not die. Liam was the Alpha fucking Prince, he could save him. Who the hell wants mates, anyways? It was the twenty-first century, independency should be a new legalised rule. The moon goddess needed to pull her act together and make better rules. Why should one die just because their mate was a prick who didn't know their fucking worth? Actually, why should one die so young anyways? That was just bloody cruel. But then again in Liam's case, the moon goddess had always been cruel.