ath

*47 days BeFoUr*

Colours. Bright colours everywhere. That was all Liam could see. He had thought that since he had a mate now maybe this year would be a bit different. That somehow it would be a bit better, but he was mistaken. If anything, this year was worse than all the other years. The winter solstice ball was the event of the year for the entire pack. In Liam's perspective, it was a long-awaited day which lost its significance because the waiting made the expectations way higher than they should've been. Every year they waited for it, prepared for it and tried to make it perfect, which was the exact reason it was always duller than you expected it to be. Liam didn't get the point of dancing formally and having big feasts. If you wanted the whole pack to be together and celebrate, why not arrange a movie night, just relax and get to know each other. It would be way better than dressing up in your best but most uncomfortable attire and making a fool out of yourself on the dance floor.

A groan left his lips, his eyes closing on their own accord.

" Liam, won't you join me?" He inhaled sharply before opening his eyes to look at his mate. She was smiling, her hair arranged into an intricate braid. Liam would've said Rachel was a beautiful lady but he didn't really know if she was. He never understood what was actually considered beautiful among the women. Honestly, they all looked the same to him.

" Erm." He straightened his shirt and gave the hall a glance over before saying. " But we just danced." He was trying his hardest not to sound harsh but her mere presence aggravated him.

" I know but I want to dance." It sounded like she was whining but the ever-present smile on her face was a confusing element.

Liam tilted his head up, biting on his lower lip in an attempt to stop himself from shouting at her. After a few calculated breathes, he craned his neck to look at her directly. " I don't feel like dancing, Rachel. If you want to dance, you can dance." He forced a smile before walking towards the bar.

" But I want to dance with you." Liam rolled his eyes at the footsteps that followed him.

Without turning to look at his mate he replied. " Don't waste away your night waiting for me, Luna Rachel." When he was close to the bar, he turned. " I'm a little tired, I think I'll sit this one out." She looked at him for a few minutes, her smile faltering but only a little.

" Okay." Liam contained the sigh of relief as his mate finally walked away. Plopping himself on the stool, he ordered a beer. An inexplicable sound escaped him as he moved his head around, his neck popping in protest. No sleep and constant training to overcome boredom were not a very good decision after all.

Ever since he had seen Zayn in the hospital the other day it was like he couldn't even close his eyes without seeing his former best friend on his death bed. And it also didn't help that his dreams were getting worse every passing day. Zayn was getting more closer to death and it was affecting Liam severely, both physically and mentally.

He gulped down his beer in one go before ordering another one. Drinking was not actually his thing but he was tired and anything was better than slow dancing with his 'gorgeous' mate. A sudden cramp in the little finger of his left hand made him look around before he found the source of it. There he was in all his glory. Now that was what Liam would distinguish as beauty. Silver hair styled as a perfect mess, body fitted in a proper suit, and most importantly the wide smile accentuating all of his facial features. Zayn was the embodiment of beauty. Liam's heart rate elevated, his body slumping in a sudden calmness. His former best friend flicked his wrist up and down before taking the little finger in his mouth.

" He must've hurt himself somehow," His eyebrows furrowed, as he rubbed the sudden wetness on his own finger. His eyes roamed over his unchanged mate mark for a second before he thought better of it." But how?"