Chapter Twenty: Blocked

Start from the beginning

    I never wanted to hit someone so badly before, but he had a tighter grip on my hands, so I couldn’t do anything but lay there.

    Raph got up, releasing me in the process. “Ellie Saki here brought another person.” he said bitterly.

    Splinter’s ears pricked up when he heard what Raph had said. He forcefully dropped his stick to the ground with a loud thud.

    “Never call Ellie that.” he told him, his voice strict. I was happy that Splinter was on my side with that part, but now it was for June.

    “Now, tell me why you have brought June to our secret, hidden lair.” he said to me, his voice on edge, but not as much as it was with Raph.

    He looked to June for a moment who was stunned. I couldn’t tell if it was what happened with Raph and I, or Splinter being a rat.

    “Sensei, there wasn’t enough time to figure out what happened with April through June. A guy named Casey Jones told an administrator, and we had to get out of there quickly.” I explained.

    “Casey Jones?” Donny asked. I looked to him. He had a curious expression on his face.

    “You know him?” June asked, looking to him. Donny nodded. “April was a friend of Casey’s.” he replied.

    “April’s boyfriend.” Raph said sarcastically. Donny narrowed his eyes, looking to him. So they all knew that Donny had feelings for April.

    Casey couldn’t be April’s boyfriend, since how Raph said it was sarcastic.

    Splinter looked to June, stroking his beard in a way of thinking. “Very well.” he told me, and then he walked up to June.

    “Do not be alarmed. We will not harm you. I am Splinter, their sensei.” he told her, “Ellie is a Senkensha, someone who can reveal your past. Would you like that?”

    June looked from him to me, and I was standing there awkwardly. “Now if you will excuse me,” he said, walking to the dojo, “I am going to meditate for a while.”

***

    We were sitting across from each other on the floor while the Karai and the guys were on the couch.

    June seemed nervous, looking at them. “So how does it work?” she asked, looking to me.   

    I placed my hands back in my lap. “I don’t really know. Splinter says it’s genetics. Kind of like how you have blonde hair or blue eyes.” I explained.

    “Splinter.” he said, “He said that he was your sensei. What did he mean?”

    I looked to everyone in the room. “He trains us.” I told her. “And how is he and you guys talking animals?” she asked as lightly as possible.

    “There is a thing called mutagen that shifts your dna to mutate into something else. It’s highly dangerous and unpredictable.

    “We were baby turtles when we were placed in mutagen, and since we were around humans as babies, we became turtle humanoids.

    “And since Splinter was a human who came in contact with rats, he became a rat humanoid.” Donny explained, sounding intelligent, smiling.

    “Thank you for that speech.” Raph said sarcastically, and June smiled at Donny. “It’s okay.” she said, looking to me.

    I opened my hands to her again. She sighed. “Okay.” she said, and our hands touched.

    Then I was somewhere else. A hospital. This had to be after the accident. No. I need before the accident. April. Find April. I thought to myself.

    But it didn’t happen. Instead, I stayed in the hospital. There were frantic doctors going all over the place, and one went through me.

    “What do you mean?” a nurse’s voice asked.

    “She has no identity.” the male doctor’s voice told her. I couldn’t make out their features. They all couldn’t be seen clearly.

    I guess June was in and out of consciousness at that point.

    Go farther in the past. I told myself, but I just stood there, in the hospital as the doctor’s left.

    And then it was completely dark.

    I opened my eyes, still holding June’s hands. She looked at me, and we just sat there like that.

    I looked up to my sister and the guys, waiting for an explanation. “I saw that.” June said, looking at me with wide eyes, “I saw that.”

    I took my hands away from hers. “I couldn’t see anything else in your past.” I said, looking to the guys.

    “Like I said, memory loss.” June repeated. I shook my head. “No, I don’t think so.” I said.

    Even though I only saw the past of a couple of people, I didn’t think that memory loss was the reason that I couldn’t see through her past more than just the accident.

    “Then what do you think it is?”she asked curiously. I looked to her, and I didn’t think she wanted to hear the answer.

    “It’s almost like something or someone is blocking your memory.” I explained, “Almost like that car accident that whipped your memory was no accident at all.”