Eighteen

"Is it really ok?" Arthit asks, finally voicing his worries. Deciding to be together was one thing but spending the rest of their lives as partners was another.

"Is what ok?" Kongpop asked back, a little confused as they had been quietly sitting in their shared apartment, Arthit watching TV while Kongpop lay on his lap reading a book. He puts it aside, his attention going completely to the man he had labeled his life partner.

Arthit stays quiet for a moment, teeth worrying his lower lip, a habit Kongpop knew was from his own inner turmoil. Was it to do with his proposal? Was Arthit having second thoughts about being with him? Was it the temple they had visited together to ask for blessings because it wasn't yet legal for them to marry on paper.

"Are you ok with just me?" Arthit finally speaks out what's on his mind his voice hesitant and laced with hope.

Kongpop sits up, turning around to properly face his love, "I've never been more sure. If it's not you then it's no one else," he knows that if he doesn't say it properly Arthit will never really understand.

Arthit's worried eyes look up, holding Kongpop's in a silent plea,"But I'll never be able to give you a child. I'm just me...I won't be able to give you a family."

"It's because it's you that I want you. Not because what you can or cannot give me." Kongpop whispers as he moves taking Arthit's fisted hands into his own, thumbs caressing the back in a soothing tune that Arthit likes but never says,"I don't need to have a child if s/he takes me away from you to have them. I don't want to be a father or anything more if it prevents me from being yours. I just want to be your husband and to have you as my own. I just need you."

"B- But everyone wants a child of their own..."

"Do you?"

"What?" Arthit's confusion is evident.

"Do you want a child of your own? Do you....do you want to get married to a woman and have a family of your own?"

"No!! I don't want that. I want a family with you!" A tension that Kongpop didn't know he had lifts off his shoulders at those words and he lets go of the hands to reach up and cup Arthit's still chubby adorable cheeks. He pulls him closer, lips pressing firmly onto his in an chaste kiss before pressing another on his forehead.

"Then let's have a family." Kongpop knows he doesn't make any mistake with his words when Arthit eyes light up but then just as instantly it dims, "How can we? We can't even adopt without years and years of legalities. Will there even be someone who will want to give their child to us...two males..."

Kongpop leans forward again, peppering kisses on Arthit's forehead. He hugs him tight to his chest, heart soaring at the way Arthit hugs back, head resting above his heart, "Shall we get a puppy? Or a kitten? While we put in our applications for adoption...we can practise?"

It's silent for a moment or two and Kongpop wonders if Arthit hasn't heard.

"A puppy. I want a puppy. One with eyes like yours."

Kongpop cannot explain how full his heart feels. They've come a long way from University. Arthit is more open about his feelings now even though he does have his moments and they've fallen more and more in love.

"Only if it's as cute as you." Kongpop replies, taking great pleasure in the way Arthit blushes in his arms as he nestles further in chest.

The embarrassed "Hiss" is totally worth the cheesy words. It's the truth after all.