Chapter 2 - "I want to shoot my left knee cap."

Start from the beginning

"It's not as easy as that, because I know if I hire anyone else I will constantly be reminded that the book could have been better. I could have been working along side Beck." Elliot looked at Cece. "I blame you, you know."

"Naturally."

"If you hadn't been a good sister and supported me in all my crazy ideas, I wouldn't have thought of this stupid idea. I would be writing another book by myself and I would be content to make it like all the rest. But no, I had to come up with this stupid idea. Gosh, I piss myself off sometimes." *

"I feel you there."

Elliot pushed herself up.

"Give me his work," she said. "Maybe it won't be as good as I thought. Maybe I was suffering from the delirium of reading too many things."

Cece smirked and handed her the papers. Elliot sank back into the chair and started reading. Half way through the first paragraph she tossed the pages aside.

"Dash it all!" Elliot said.

"That bad huh?"

"Better than the first time, the jerk."

Elliot stood up.

"That's it, I'm going to get ice cream," Elliot said.

Cece raised her hands, her expression going serious.

"Stop. You shouldn't eat just because you're angry," Cece said.

Elliot paused and frowned.

"I'm not. I'm eating because I'm indecisive."

Cece hopped up.

"Oh, in that case I'll come with," she said.

Elliot started for the kitchen.

"What are you indecisive about?" she asked, looking at Cece.

"I can't decide if I should stay with you and listen to you keep ranting, or finish my next chapter like my publicist wants me too," Cece said.

"An ice cream worthy indecisiveness," Elliot said.

As she pulled out two cartons of ice cream, Cece grabbed two spoons and sat at the table. Elliot joined her, handing Cece a carton and accepting a spoon. The kitchen fell silent as they ate, Elliot's internal battle playing across her face. She was pulled from her tangled thoughts when she heard footsteps. A moment later, Tristan appeared. Without a word, he got a spoon and sat down. *

"We see you twice in one day," Cece said. "Are you feeling well?"

"Make no mistake, I'm not here for you," Tristan said. "I heard the sound of spoons and the word ice cream."

Cece nodded. "Of course."

Tristan looked to Elliot, his brown eyes studying her.

"How are the readings going?" he asked.

Elliot glared at the far wall.

"I want to shoot my left knee cap," she replied.

"A natural response. Is it because you favor your right?"

"No, not particularly," Elliot said.

"So the issue is...?"

"I found the most amazing writer."

"Damn! I hate when that happens," Tristan said.

Elliot looked at Tristan, a smile breaking through her scowl, as Cece snorted. Tristan smiled back, his handsome features turning boyish with the action.