chapter twenty-four

chapter twenty-four

Part three

“I love you,” he repeated, a whispered sentence, sounding final. My anger vanished, replaced by shame. When I looked back at him, sitting there on the bed, he smiled lazily, looking exhausted but refreshed that he finally said the words—like a heavy burden was lifted from his shoulders and he could breathe again. “I am in love with you, Lena Token,” he said, making my heart twist painfully. “I've been for a very long time. And there. I said it. It feels hella good, too. I am in love with you.”

“And I am embarrassed.” Despite everything, I managed a small smile.

“Don't be.” He stood, opening his arms wide. He looked so ridiculous then—I bet I did too—with his bare chest and legs, wearing only a white, cotton towel with a raging hard on bulging through it and a crooked, sheepish grin plastered on his face I couldn't help but laugh, or cry. I couldn't tell which I was doing, but I did know I was filling with so much love for him. I walked forward slowly. “You're out of this world, you know that?” 

“I'm vaguely aware,” he murmured, his eyes amused and dancing with light.

I collapsed against him, pulling him tightly close to me.

Finally.