Chapter 23

The wind whistled as it blew the trees. Jade pulled Dom’s black jacket together and crossed her arms as she watched tiny snowflakes descend from the night sky. No longer able to stand the abuse on her poor toes, she stood from where she’d been huddled in the corner of the balcony. She took one last look at the clear sky and the treetops already being dusted in white and headed in for the night, closing the double doors behind her.

            A heavy grunt had her turning toward the bed. Dom lay on his stomach, his scarred back rising up and down in a fast manner. His entire body twitched as if he were having a bad dream. His fingers even gripped the sheets. As if it were instinct, she got on the bed beside him, folding her knees to the side as she placed a hand on his mid-back. From just her touch, his body calmed, the tenseness easing and his breathing returning to normal.

            She slid under the covers with him, and the heat of his body warmed her as he faced her. His eyes were still closed, but his body seemed to have a mind of its own as he curled an arm around her and pulled her toward him.

His body went into another twitching rage, and he grunted. With her right hand, she softly dragged her nails over his scalp and down the nape of his neck. His head lifted, and he blinked as he took in his surroundings, his chest and face slick with sweat.

His dark eyes shined with dread, and she wondered if he locked her in his room not because she needed protection but because subconsciously he needed comfort.

            Damian evened out his breath as Jade’s fingers twirled over his scalp, soothing him as he buried his nose into the crook of her neck. He’d be stuck with the same replay for God knew how long, suffering with the image. Him. The girl. The blood all over his hands.

Len’s potion had worn off, and the dream came back ten times worse than before. The shakes in his body continued as he held onto Jade for dear life. But the dream wasn’t what scared him; it was the beast’s need to kill again. It wanted to slaughter someone like it’d slaughtered Marie. To taste the flesh, feel the hot blood, revel in it.

His cheekbone and jaw distorted. Jade stiffened underneath him, her fingers ceasing to move along his hair. He didn’t leave her warmth though. He couldn’t. Her touch doused the fire brewing inside his head, while lighting a flame to his skin.

As his bones shifted back, her fingers trailed down his temple. She cupped his cheek and lifted his head. Her eyes followed her fingers as she traced his jaw and chin. Then her cinnamon gaze connected with his, the dark gold flecks inside her irises hypnotizing him. He couldn’t tell if he was leaning closer or if she was, but when she licked his bottom lip, all coherent thoughts vanished.

There was no time for common sense. Common things were senseless anyways. He didn't want to base his logic off anything rational. Not right now anyway. No, he was going on pure instinct as his mouth met hers.

God . . .

That tongue of hers could teach a savage to be civil. It was hot and moist and equaled all things holy as it dipped into his mouth, stirring a different, dormant side of the beast that lay within him. He was a goddamn puppet stringed around her finger. She could’ve ordered him to do anything at that particular moment in time, and he would have. Would’ve slaughtered a mass of bunnies just for the hell of it if it pleased her.

Jade dragged the cotton sheet off her face and rolled over, yawning as she worked out the kinks plaguing her body. She blinked her eyes open, straining her eyesight as she looked toward the balcony. In the sunlight, Dom did a steady pace of push-ups, sweat gleaming on the contours of his muscles. His long legs stretched, and his biceps strained.