Chapter 5

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you."― Friedrich Nietzsche

A young man stood in the doorway of Marsey's office. His dirty blonde hair had a cow-lick, and his barely-there mustache was crooked. The hollows of his cheeks were sunken in, and his pale skin was pouring sweat.

"We need you to sign the papers for the new leadership building."

Marsey blew out a breath and sat back in her chair. "No, the cult's staying here for this one."

"But Pastor George said—"

"Screw what Georgie said. You guys aren't tagging along."

"Y-y-yes, mam," the boy stuttered. "But I also have the papers for the house in Missouri."

He walked over to her cherry-wood desk, holding out the papers. Marsey snatched them from his hand.

"Always gotta do everything around here," she muttered under her breath as she signed her signature.

A deep chuckle interrupted her, and her attention drifted from the paper that lay on her desk to the silver eyed man who stood outside her door.

An evil grin curled her chapped lips. "What an unexpected surprise." She turned to the boy and handed him the papers. "Leave."

As the young man scurried from the room, Lucifer stepped in. "You knew I'd be coming at some point, so I doubt I caught you off guard."

He strutted into her office, looking around with a holier-than-thou disposition. The one thing about him that got on Marsey's nerves was his arrogance. But she supposed with that type of power, he'd have to be conceited to rule The Underworld. Marsey glared but kept her smile. She didn't like him, but if she was going to finish her job, then she would put up with his bullshit.

"So, why'd you call?"

"I need your help with someone."

Lucifer didn't look the least bit interested as he fiddled with the gnome ornaments on her desk. "Who?"

"A girl I can't seem to catch."

His silver eyes flickered to hers. "You haven't gone soft, have you?" Ha. If anything, she'd gotten meaner. "What's in it for me?" he asked.

The man didn't turn dumb overnight. He knew what was in it for him.

"Did you seriously just ask that?" She cut her eyes and rubbed her forehead. "What do you think's in it for you? A soul to add to your list."

And Lucifer never said no to a free soul.

He seemed to be taking in her words as he stared at her, his eyes cold and calculating. "What do you have in mind?"

"You just do whatever you feel is necessary at the time. Knock her out or do your little voodoo wonders on her. Hell, it doesn't even have to be that creative, just as long as she gets back to me alive."

"Body's rotting that bad, huh?" He paced in front of her desk. "So who's the girl?"

Marsey gritted her teeth. "You ask too many questions. Are you gonna take the job or not?"

"All right." He straightened the wrinkles of his white button down shirt.

She was curious on how he was going to work his magic: Captivate her with seduction? Bewitch her to walk straight into Marsey's warehouse with open arms? Hypnotize somebody else to bring her into Marsey's custody? Lucifer was a sneaky little sphinx, and he did whatever he had to do to get a soul.