Into you

Elijah let the three friends talk in peace, but still kept a watchful eye on them sitting across the street from the diner on the other side of the street.

He finished talking to Mary, who confirmed that she was on her way back to Mystic Falls.

Some things seemed to be getting on track, he was pleased. His eyes focusing on Elena listening to the whispers of his own heart flashing back
to Tatia, the first doppelganger.

His thoughts swayed to Klaus and their feud and the moment they parted ways.

Flashback

1919, New Orleans

"You helped the witch escape, didn't you?"- Klaus hissed at Elijah-"you and your weakness for love! Because of YOU father is here, making us run away like prey. I have told you to kill her family, all of them. You and your incisive need for compassion"- Klaus charged at his brother.

Like he had said to Elena before, once long ago he would have done anything for Klaus, turning a blind eye on so many things his brother had done. And he was-is not blameless. It burnt his soul. He was equally guilty. He now looked at Elena. He tried to manage his feelings. What had happened earlier in the kitchen was something he shouldn't have let happen, even his heart was singing each moment he recalls her look directed at him, no matter how confusing her heart was about him. Her look that was clearly wanting him. He can't afford to get lost in his feelings. Not this time.

In the diner, Elena had just glanced through the window at where he was. She had not shared with her friends that she was seconds away from kissing him earlier. For the first time she was glad Caroline's drama over Matt took over any of her friend's drama. 

The conversation moved from the boys to the Founder's Ball and Mrs Lockwood's idea to make it into the 1920s themed thing. 

"I am going over to Richmond"-Caroline said-"whatever I looked here, really is nothing."

"We can't go out of Mystic Falls"- Elena said.

"Seriously?"-Caroline raised her eyebrow at her friend-"we have the very special bodyguard with us- so why shouldn't we use it- oh, come on. The Ball is like the only highlight we are having this weekend"

Strangely Bonnie was not against it, and the decision to ditch everything and go shopping took over. Whether Elijah agreed or not, he had to come. It amazed them how he acted completely unstirred by having to accompanying them. Elena got into the SUV at the passenger's seat. Caroline and Bonnie went with another car. 

"I'm sorry about this"- Elena said to Elijah.

"You don't have to apologize. I am sorry we are interfering with your life"- Elijah replied. 

"I am used it by now"- Elena said. She pressed the CD that was in - and the song playing made Elena's heart jump. She looked outside the car window as if she tried to hide it. And Elijah's rose up with its clang.

I'm so into you, I can barely breathe
And all I wanna do is to fall in deep
But close ain't close enough 'til we cross the line, hey, yeah
So name a game to play, and I'll roll the dice, hey Oh baby, look what you started
The temperature's rising in here
Is this gonna happen?
Been waiting and waiting for you to make a move
Before I make a move

....

  Baby this a microphone checkup
What you getting into when you get 'em
When I wake up probably I'm gonna text ya
Heard you got a man
Baby I could do it better
And it really ain't the plan
I just want you to remember
How it was, how it is, how it could be
You could pull me in, you could push me
Or we can go for a ride, you the sky ... 

Flashforward

Elijah finished the kiss placing two pecks on Elena's lips moving slightly back still embraced looking at her meekly, emotions of love and desire entangled within him now rippling like the deepest ocean. And hers equally in disarray completely loose pulling her to him and she moves to him, her lips touching his softly. Elijah closed his eyes fully letting the sensation of her lips on his flow right through his heart. He had not known it could beat so furiously making the demon inside of him want to rip her dress lustfully and dive into her making her his own, but the gentleman, the human that still equally played against the demon now pulled away from her kiss caressing her face with his thumbs uttering -
"I cannot do this. I can'take advantage of you- you are vulnerable now- it is not right"
Elena looked at him, her eyes caught in the moment, letting out a little gasp trying to comprehend his withdrawal, her whole being now battling with aroused emotions the kisses had brought forward.

Before she could say anything, he swished away from the room.

And as he got out  Caroline swished into the house looking for Elena, finding her in the room bursting out-

"Tyler left! He just left. I just can't believe it. He left a letter. He is not coming back."

 but Elena, who was still hit by Elijah walking out on her could not deal for the moment with Caroline's heartache.

And Elijah got himself a drink at the Grill sitting down detached from the world, his heart kicking him mercilessly thinking of Elena and his decision to retreat-