VIII

Chapter 8 - Deja Vu?Part 1

Sarah's POV

DAY 1

The day seemed weird. I didn't know why. It was like I knew something bad would happen. There were no kids outside and everything was silent. I felt mentally ill, not physically.

I woke up in the morning remembering what I said to Steven after I had woken him from a nightmare. The number 2305 seems strange to me. What is happening? Could someone explain that number. Steven was reading a book while I was still in my deep thought about that weird number. 2305!! I tried to convince myself to be happy and excited because we were going to the pool party but it was no use. It was really weird for me. Not being excited.

Someone knocked on my bedroom door. Steven looked up and opened it for me since he noticed that I'm lazy.

"Honey, breakfast is ready," my mom spoke cheerily, "We're going to be leaving again for the next couple of days. Enjoy your last month of vacation!" She pat my head like I was a dog. "Remember, Katy said to be ready for the pool party. Be sure to be there at 9AM sharp." I watch her leave before checking my clock. It's already past 8. Hmm. Not bad.

I began to prepare myself when I noticed Steven squinting with concentration at the book he held. It looked like a diary. I'd never seen it before.

"Hey. What are you reading?" I asked, curiously.

"Nothing," He said "Just wait for me outside. I'm just going to clean up the room a bit."

"Ok then. See you." I said, closing the door. What is in that book that makes him becomes serious? I'm going to find out soon.

I tried to act normal. I grabbed some eggs, rice and my favorite crispy bacon, but it was flavorless. My mom liked to cook this meal because it was my favorite. I tried to eat more, but I lost my appetite.

I quickly left to go to my old fashioned room. I found Steven there. Water dripped from his brown, nearly chin-length hair. He dried it with a towel.

"You ready?" I asked, picking up my things.

"Yeah!" He replied enthusiastically.

"Bye mom, bye dad." I called over my shoulder.

"Good luck!" that's what they said as I closed the door.

I saw Katy waiting for us on a bench near our house. "How long have you been waiting for us?" I asked, feeling guilty.

"More than an hour?" she glanced at her watch before looking up and noticing Steven, "But I don't mind. Who's that guy?"

I shot Steven a worried look. What was I supposed to say? People just don't end up with a teenage sibling over night! "He's my..." I said slowly, "cousin. He's staying with us for a few years while his parents travel." Katy believed it and they offered each other a friendly handshake.

"Nice to meet you Steven. Let's go?" We nodded and continued following Katy until we reached her mansion. She was rich because her family owned a 5 star Tiki resort in Florida. When we reached the backyard, I saw my old friends waving their hands at me. I saw Steven staring at them with recognition as if they had met each other before.

"Hi Sarah," they said.

"Hi!" I looked at Steven, "This is Shaniah, MicaElla, Jeremy, Lanz, Rhyzza Mae and Jericho. Guys, this is my cousin, Steven."

"Nice to meet you, Steven!" they said in unison.

"We're so sorry about what happened to John. We know you guys were close." MicaElla said.