VI

Chapter 6 - Leaving

I woke up early and wide awake because we're going to the mall and I'm excited. I was about to get up when I noticed the alarm clock flashing "2AM" and realized I still needed to sleep. Before going back to sleep, I decided to check on Steven if he was still breathing.

Positive. He was still breathing. At first, I wasn't comfortable with the idea of sharing a room with Steven, but when my dad said that I and Steven would have separate beds, my worries quickly faded. I need to sleep now. Too excited for tomorrow, I guess?

**

"Sarah, are you ready?" I was almost done taking a bath when my dad knocked on the bathroom door.

"Yeah, Dad. Almost done," I said as I wrapped a towel around my body. I couldn't stop smiling. I'm so excited. I couldn't believe that I could experience what it would be like to have a brother at least for a while. I opened the door and I almost jumped in surprise because Steven is standing in front of me.

"Sorry. Did I take too long or what?" I asked and I could see Steven's face. It looked sad and fearful. Is he afraid of me? I don't think that I look like a monster. Do I even look like one?

"It's fine. I almost finished reading this book while waiting for you to finish. Here hold this while I'll take a bath." He said, handing his book to me. Like me, he was also a fan of "Hyperion".

After some minutes, I finished changing my clothes and Steven was almost done in the bathroom.

"Steven, I'll just wait for you downstairs," I said, rushing to the door. I was just about to turn the knob when I remembered something. I forgot to bring my backpack.

I quickly grabbed it then went downstairs to eat.

I started eating and my dad's just staring at the food.

"Dad, Mom won't like it if you continue to stare at your food," I said as I chew another spoonful of food. Dad started eating while I heard Steven's steps on the stairway. He started poking me and my irritation grew, though, I hid it well.

"Can I borrow this book, Sarah?" He asked me and I nodded.

"Let's go guys." I said as they followed me like I'm the boss or the leader.

I'm always a leader in our school because I'm a straight A student, but I'm lazy as shit. I was the school's valedictorian last school year, but the idea of being valedictorian now is almost laughable.

Steven looked excited and happy. It looked like it was his first time at the mall. I remembered something John told me when he was alive:

"Money can't buy happiness, but which is better: Crying in a Lamborghini or crying on a bicycle?"

He was really silly when he said those words to me. He was so funny, but sometimes he was corny as hell. He always made me smile when I was sad and lonely. I loved him, not as a friend or a best friend, but more than that. I was just so scared to tell him and now it's too late.

**

"Wow! That's a big house!" Steven marveled, his face pressed against the car window. Here on Sad Planet, malls are kinda bigger than on the usual planet with lots of people roaming it.

"It's a mall," I chuckled and he gave me a 'shut-up' glare.

"Duh, I'm just describing it so shut up," Steven rolled his eyes, his face growing red.

"Steven, no one's asking. So you shut up." I rolled my eyes.

"Oh, forget it." He grumbled as he got out of the car.