15 | Purple

Crystal Collins

I let out a deep breath as I sat my cell phone back down. This was probably the hardest thing I would ever have to do, but I knew it was the right move. After getting advice from Chanel to help me establish my ultimate decision, I gave Cameron the kid version run down of everything.

I simply 'surprised' him by telling him that he could go and soend the night over his dad's. Of course he was excited, and instantly grabbed his Avengers book bag to throw in clothes that probably didn't even match, but I quickly stopped him and gave him a suitcase instead. He was of course confused, and a little shocked that I had gave him such a huge 'bag', but didn't question it.

Once hearing a knock on the front door, I instructed Cameron to pack what ever he liked, as I went to go catch it. Once opening the door, I wasn't surprised to see Rakim's new girlfriend with him. She was pretty, I admit, but I was still a little skeptical about her.

"Hey," I greeted them both. "Come in."

The both reluctantly stepped inside as I closed and locked the door behind them.

"So, what's up?" Rakim asked with a raise of eyebrows. "What's so important that I needed to practically rush over here for?"

"We need to talk," I simply stated as I placed my hand on his arm.

"It couldn't be done over the phone?" he asked as he brushed my hand away.

"Rakim can you please just listen?"

"Sure," he rolled his eyes as he stuffed his hands into his pockets.

"Can you excuse us?" I now directed my attention to his girlfriend.

She awkwardly took a seat on the couch as I pulled Rakim into the other room to talk to him.

"You never filed those court papers did you?" I asked, cutting straight to the chase.

"Not yet, why?"

"Well there's no need to get the court into our business at all."

"What are you talking about?"

"Look, just as long as you can make a deal with me, Cameron can live with you."

Rakim's eyes nearly bulged out of his head, just like I expected them to.

"What's the catch?"

"You have to be able to let me see him when ever I want."

"What?" he half chuckled. "You barely let me get to see him when I want! The fuck I look like?"

"Rakim I'm letting him live with you for crying out loud!"

"What's the catch?"

"What do you mean what's the catch? I already told you what I want from the deal."

"Why all of the sudden you're acting as if everything is cupcakes and lollipops between us?"

"Look Rakim, I have a lot of shit on my mind right now and I need to focus on a lot of other things. I don't have the time for Cameron at the moment. Besides, he doesn't even like me!"

"So you're just giving your son up?"

"Rakim please don't make it sound like that. He's your son too. Remember? It's not like I'm giving him up to a stranger."

Rakim let out a deep breath as his fingers fiddled with the ends of one of his braids. "So now what?"

"Are we agreeing on this?"

"Yeah," he sighed.

"You don't sound too happy about it," I sucked my teeth. "You we're just complaining a few weeks ago about how you want to be such a father to him, now you stressed out cause I asked if Cam could live with you instead?"

"Crystal it's just that it's always something new with you. You're confusing as fuck. One minute you're giving me a red light, then it's green the next. What the fuck do you want from me?" he yelled.

I sighed as I shook my head. "He's upstairs. His bags are already packed. I've been thinking a lot lately and I know what I'm doing. Rocky I know you'll be a good parent to him. He needs that right now. You even said yourself that you wanted full custody. Now you have him!"

With that, I left the kitchen. I then entered the living room, beginning to call down Cameron, but I quickly realized that he was already downstairs, along with Rakim's girlfriend, with his bags. Rocky suddenly joined me in the room as I watched his face lit up. I smiled to myself as I watched Cam jump into his arms.

I loved the fact that Rakim was always genuinely happy to see Cameron.

"Daddy I can spend the night?" Cam asked excitedly.

"As long as you want!" he smiled.

"And I don't have to go to school? I can stay at your house for forever and ever?"

"Hey! You still have to go to school dude!"

Cameron poked out his bottom lip as Rakim suddenly put his finger in his face. "What I tell you about that lip?"

Cameron suddenly tucked his lip back in as I smiled. Rakim was such a great father to Cameron, I've just been too bitter to admit it. Once their little talk was over, Rakim's girlfriend grabbed Cameron's bags as she followed them out the door.

"Rakim don't let me regret this," I sighed as I leaned in between the door way as he stood on the front porch, still holding Cameron in his arms.

"Crystal you won't. Trust me."

I rolled my eyes as I gave Cameron a kiss on his forehead. "Just one thing."

He raised one of his eyebrows as he waited for me to continue.

"I understand that girl is your girlfriend but don't let her think that that's her son. She's not his mother. Understand?"

"Crystal she's not even my girl. Why do you think I have feelings for every girl that's attached to me in a way? She's just my assistant," he stated.

"Whatever you say," I rolled my eyes as I gave Cameron one last kiss. "I'll be there soon to come check up on you okay?"

"Okay."

"I love you!"

"I love you too mommy."

Rakim, along with his 'assistant' then made their way off of my porch as I closed and locked the door behind them. While letting out a deep breath I located my cell phone. I have just a few more calls to make.