3 | Purple

Rakim Mayers

After Cameron helped Joy clean up whatever mess she made in the living room, it was time to start on the road. It was going to take at least a good three hours to reach Kings Island, so half way there we'll stop to get the kids some food.

I expect them to fall asleep before we even reach our rest stop though. We'd have to wake them up to eat because we're obviously not about to let them go without eating. Before we could get to the fun and quiet part where they both fall asleep, we first have to get through the annoying part.

Of course they would ask a million and one questions before we actually reached our destination.

"Daddy where are we going?" Joy asked as she looked out the window.

We was only twenty minutes into the trip, and was still on the high way. After we got off the high way, we would stop at McDonald's or any other restaurant nearby.

"It's a surprise," he replied.

"Can you give me a hint?" she begged.

"It's a fun place. That's all I can tell you."

"Chuck E. Cheese!?" Cameron yelled out before Joy could reply.

"No Cam," I laughed. "Where we're going is better than Chuck E. Cheese."

"What's better than Chuck E. Cheese?" Cam and Joy both said together.

Me and Q couldn't help but laugh as we shook our heads. I couldn't wait to see their faces when get there. The funny thing is, is that they've both have been there before, but they probably don't remember. Last time we took them, their little asses were barely tall enough to ride the rides. Now, they were more than tall enough to ride the rides at Planet Snoopy. They may be even tall enough for the actual theme park, but I know they aren't ready for all that yet.

Once Joy and Cam finally settled down and stopped asking questions, they were knocked out before me and Q both knew it. Joy was sound asleep with a small smirk on her face, and Cam was snoring like a grown ass man. After we finally reached our rest stop, it was time for us to wake them up to eat. The restaurants nearby were McDonald's, Stake N' Shake, Wendy's, and Burger King.

Like any other normal child, they both chose McDonald's of course.

Me and Q both ordered a number one with a Sprite, while both Cameron and Joy got chicken nugget happy meals. Chocolate milk for Cameron, and apple juice for Joy. Once we were all done eating (and getting bombarded by tons of people who recognized me and Q), we started back on the road.

Since the kids were now wide awake from all of the food they had just had, they asked the same questions that they had asked before they fell asleep. When we finally arrived at Kings Island, and I told them we were here, they instantly shut up and looked out the window.

"All I see is cars," Cam whined.

"Look Cameron! It's roller coasters back there!" Joy exclaimed as she pointed through the window.

Cameron looked over her shoulder, out her window, and gasped.

"King Island daddy!" Cameron yelled.

I chuckled as Q just so happened to find an empty parking spot. Once he made his way over to it, he parked, then we all got out. After popping the trunk, Q got out both of our book bags that we had packed. Each of our book bags had the kids swimsuits, snacks, Capri Suns, money, our keys, and the tickets and fast passes of course. After handing Cameron and Joy a bag of chips of their choice, and a Capri Sun, we headed towards the entrance of the theme park.

"Joy Joy you scared to ride the big rides?" Q asked Joy.

"A little," she said as she clutched his hand.

"You gotta' be a big girl today. We not riding no tea cups okay?"

"Why not!? I like the tea cups!"

"Cause you gotta' be a big girl in the cut. You can't be in the cut acting like a little girl."

"It's okay Joy. We can ride the big rides together," Cameron said as he patted her back. "Don't be afraid."

I instantly began laughing as I shook my head. Q was stupid as hell. He would never tell her to not act like a little girl. She's three years old for crying out loud! Cameron on the other hand, will be turning four next weekend, but he's still three. How he gone be the super hero of the situation when he the same age as her?

Although they are close in age, I thought it was cute that he tried 'protecting' her, and making her feel better. I saw a lot of myself in him. Not only did I see a lot of myself in a Cameron, but I also saw a lot of Q in Joy. Joy could be goofy at times just like her dad, and I can already tell Cameron will be a ladies man.

I believe all children deserve to have both parents in their life. The parent that's most important in a child's life though, is the one of the same sex. It's good for Cameron to have an relationship with Crystal, but I feel me being in his life will be most beneficial.

A lot of his friends growing up most likely won't be able to say that they had a dad in their life to teach them certain things. Crystal can't teach him how to tie a tie. Crystal can't teach him how to shave. Crystal can teach him things such as how to be respectful, and how to take responsibility, but other things, she can't. It's certain things Cameron just can't learn from Crystal. 

With all due respect, I appreciate Crystal carrying and giving birth to Cameron, but she damn sure can't teach him how to be man. And that's exactly why I want to be there for him. I want to be able to be there for my son every step of the way, and creating memories and bonding moments with him no matter what age.

What's wrong with trying to be the best father I can be?