30

"Babe, are you ready yet? We had to leave 10 minutes ago." Jack yelled from the bottom of the stairs, fixing his shirt cuffs.

"Yes, yes. I'm coming." I said walking down the stairs. As we made eye contact Jack's mouth curled into a subtle smile. I grinned back, sliding a pice of hair behind my ear.

"You look, wow. You're absolutely stunning." Jack said, taking in my appearance.

"Thanks babe. You look handsome as well." I complimented.

I kissed his lips quickly, grabbing my coat and clutch. The door swung open and Jack stood to the side, letting me go first. He held his hand out, helping me down the first couple steps.

I thanked him as we walked hand in hand to the car. I let go as we got closer and entered our seperate sides.

"What time are your parents expecting us?" I asked, buckling myself in.

"About 6:30. Give or take a couple minutes." Jack shrugged, pulling out of the driveway.

"I thought we were late." I dramatically slapped my hands on my legs.

"We are, by 3 minutes." He smirked.

"Jack." I playfully hit his arm.

"Hey, no distracting the driver." He pointed a finger at me.

"'No distracting the driver'." I mocked.

"Stop it Clark." He narrowed his eyes at me for a quick second before switing lanes and getting onto the highway.

"Woah." I laughed.

We laughed together as the music quietly played in the background. Our laughter died down the further we got from the city.

"So, how's your father?" Jack asked resting a hand on my thigh.

"He's good. He's going into surgery for a knee replacement on Tuesday."

"I see." Jack nodded.

The rest of the car ride was pretty silent except for the quiet music in the background. We were in the car for roughly 45 minutes before we made it to Jack's parents' house.

Once we arrived Jack got out first, rushing to my side to help me out and onto the rocky driveway. I held onto his hand as we walked up to the door.

He knocked once before we stood shivering outside of the warm house. There were footsteps on the other side of the door before it swung open, revealing a short lady in a pair of jeans and a teal t-shirt.

"Maria, hi." Jack greeted.

"Oh, Jack, hi. It's nice to see you. Who is this?" Maria asked looking at me.

"Oh, how rude of me, Maria, this is Sarah, my girlfriend." He smiled at me, emphasizing the word girlfriend.

The sound of him calling me his girlfriend made me giddy. I smiled back at him, trying very hard contain my excitement.

"Hello Sarah. Oh you must be freezing, here come in, come in." She moved aside letting Jack and I in. I thanked her as I shed my coat and hung it on the coat rack.

"Your mother and sisters are in the kitchen and the rest of the family is in the dining room." She smiled at Jack and I.

"Thank you." Jack said, nodding his head before walking away.

Jack looked down at me, squeezing my hand. I smiled back as we walked down the unfamiliar hallway.

"Shit." Jack cursed looking at me. "You've never been here before. Let me show you around."